MAKE A LIST~ fp Pitchers who can throw 70mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Are you clocking them from directly behind? Any angle will lower their speed. Even the height and how you aim the PR can change the accuracy of the reading. So at their lesson the radar is probably set in a tripod aimed directly at their release point resulting in the most accurate and higher speed.
My angle was off by no more than 10° at umpire level, if that makes sense.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I believe many college coaches mistakenly put too much emphasis on velo and cross pitchers off their list because they only throw say 61-62 and the opt for the pitcher that throws 65-66. It is very possible that the 61-62 pitcher could have much better movement and control and is actually more effective pitcher. The 65 mph pitchers are often very straight and are easier to hit than the 61 mph that can change speed and hit spots.
My angle was off by no more than 10° at umpire level, if that makes sense.
I believe that could be 1 maybe 2 mph difference.

May 17, 2023
It exists, of course. I'm not doubting that. But if you're throwing 62 at that age, you're on one of the best teams.

Very good chance they will be soon, but clearly they weren't. And nobody said didn't have future in sport if you aren't throwing like that but just highlights how much more velo we are seeing around the sport.

Lot more to being successful pitcher than just throwing it hard.

Jul 11, 2023
Do these devices interfere with each other at all? Do you have to calibrate them somehow?

I've seen different devices right next to each other register different numbers. But they were always consistent in their difference. Seems like the number is just a suggestion in reality. You'd have to work with the same device in a consistent setup to really validate your improvement.

May 13, 2023
I believe many college coaches mistakenly put too much emphasis on velo and cross pitchers off their list because they only throw say 61-62 and the opt for the pitcher that throws 65-66. It is very possible that the 61-62 pitcher could have much better movement and control and is actually more effective pitcher. The 65 mph pitchers are often very straight and are easier to hit than the 61 mph that can change speed and hit spots.

Think it is more common that when a college crosses a pitcher off their list it's because they found a better one, better fit. Not because they just look at some numbers written on a player bio.
That is why they want to see players at their camps/in games.

May 17, 2023
Do these devices interfere with each other at all? Do you have to calibrate them somehow?

I've seen different devices right next to each other register different numbers. But they were always consistent in their difference. Seems like the number is just a suggestion in reality. You'd have to work with the same device in a consistent setup to really validate your improvement.

Think that depends on the device. My experience the Blue PR and Smart Coach PR are very consistent (within 1mph every time). For the cost that's pretty good. The Red PR or those things that look like something a cop uses are all over the board.

The colleges often use different looking devices you don't see in a store, but I'm assuming those are even more accurate. During 2021 season (because of Covid) both teams would sit in front of our seats and chart pitches. The numbers rarely differed between the two an never by more than 1 mph.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You can't rely on the Diamond Kinetics Ball for accurate speed readings. That thing is always off by 7-10 MPH to the plus side.

I always measure speed with the ball coming at me, not from behind. But PR says either is okay.

Aug 21, 2008
That is my question did the rule change result in: 1) higher velocity at younger ages 2) higher velocity at a pitcher's peak or 3) both.

I do think better athletes are pitching today with the increase in popularity of the sport. Also more coaches that understand correct mechanics. So better athletes getting better training and more strength training SHOULD mean increased velo across the sport.
I don't know if athletes are better today or if they just have better foundations to build from. Here's what I mean:

In 1999 I was hired to work with National team pitchers in Denmark (yes, Europe). While there, they asked me to go to some schools and introduce softball to kids in an effort to get them interested. If you know anything about Denmark, 2 sports rule: Soccer and Team Handball. Anyway, on my first visit to a group of kids 12-14 yrs old, I realized I was with kids who've never played any form of ball/bat sports. One of the local softball clubs hosted this intro to softball for these kids, and gave us access to their gear and equipment: gloves, bats, balls, catcher gear, etc. etc. etc. When I told the kids to go grab a glove, they all did so. But, almost none of them knew how to put a baseball glove on their hand. I'd ask "which hand are you?" And a kid would say he's a right hander. So, he would take the glove and try putting it on his right hand, which obviously looked ridiculous. But, this kid simply didn't know. He'd never put one on before. There are no baseball mitts or equipment in Danish sports stores so, it was probably the first time he'd ever seen one in person. So, lesson #1 with these kids was how to wear the glove and which hand to put it on.

That may sounds silly but, it goes to show that they didn't know the basics. Kids in the USA grow up with baseball on TV, attending their siblings ball games (baseball or softball) and the amount of info they pick up without realizing it is staggering. While kids here still need to be taught the correct mechanics for how to throw, catch, swing a bat, etc. most of them have a minimum understanding of what to do. Here in USA, there are kids playing serious level of travel softball at age 10. In Europe and other places, they haven't even seen a glove until they're 14 years old. So, I'm not 100% sure athletes are better today but there's no question today's kids perform better at earlier ages.

To answer your question Bucket, I'd say #3 is the answer. But, I'd be remiss if I didn't say, faster and more velocity doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Throwing 70mph is great, but not if you can't control it. Personally, I sometimes felt like I was a better overall pitcher when I used the old international rules of 2 feet on the rubber and no crow hopping. I feel I definitely threw harder with 1 foot on, and no restrictions on my push/jump. But, that didn't necessarily help my pitching. I think it's unfortunate that so many girls measure their pitching mostly by speed. When they do this, so many lose the ball rotation necessary for the pitches and often have flat balls because they're over throwing so much. Everyone wants to post a pic of them with the radar gun showing a new high speed. Sometimes actual PITCHING gets lost in that quest to throw the absolute hardest. Just my opinion.

Nov 18, 2013

Most D1 pitchers throw in that 61-62 range so those girls aren’t getting crossed off coaches lists. Usually what that means is that in addition to not being as fast as their parents claim, they also don’t have anywhere near the control, movement and aren’t as effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00