Being a Runner~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The one thing I will say is there are definitely tentative base runners out there who don't fit the mold of being aggressive. My daughter is not an aggressive runner because she doesn't trust her speed. She's a slow catcher with a big bat who usually gets a courtesy runner when she gets on base. Could she have been taught to be more aggressive? Perhaps. But it wouldn't have made her faster.
Definitely see Runners who are either hesitant (mind-set)
or already know they are slow (physically)
In both cases they generally don't look to the next base as a possibility.

At the advanced level of development players may recognize their own limits.

At younger ages there may be some tells who is the slow player.
However, with the potential for more development to come from that younger player, it would be advisable to stay with the mindset of get to the next base at every moment the ball is in play.
Thinking skills develop and physical skills can develop.
I wouldn't want to pigeonhole someone at a young development stage and say
' well you'll never be a quick base runner, stay close to your base'
because we can grow out of that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If you want to understand aggressive baserunning watch any game coached by Bill Conroy and his Bandits team or really any Bandits team but Bill builds his teams for this. No hit or steal or even a walk is one base is the mindset he teaches his players. Everybody runs even his slower players and in this case slower means average because he doesn’t put actual slow players on his team. He loses base runners sometimes and it has certainly cost a game or two over the time we’ve been with the orange but more often than not it works and it’s a fun style of softball to watch and certainly some of it doesn’t translate to the next level due to the skill of the defense but the mind set certainly does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good stuff 👍 it is fun to watch!

Like that the defense knows I am an aggressive base runner. Forces them to have to pay attention to what I'm doing along with everything else!
Forces a quicker reaction time on their part mentally and physically.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Definitely see Runners who are either hesitant (mind-set)
or already know they are slow (physically)
In both cases they generally don't look to the next base as a possibility.

At the advanced level of development players may recognize their own limits.

At younger ages there may be some tells who is the slow player.
However, with the potential for more development to come from that younger player, it would be advisable to stay with the mindset of get to the next base at every moment the ball is in play.
Thinking skills develop and physical skills can develop.
I wouldn't want to pigeonhole someone at a young development stage and say
' well you'll never be a quick base runner, stay close to your base'
because we can grow out of that.
The funny thing is that in TB, her coaches always gave a courtesy runner for her, but in school ball, not so much. As slow as my daughters run, they were still much smarter base runners than any of the bench players.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has always been an aggressive base runner, she is always looking at ball to see If she can move to next base.

This is rec we are playing in a water retaining area. OF wall is 600 out and 20 tall. Realy neat. DD hit the ball over the CF head, new player on 1st.

When DD got to 1st they were still there so she pushed her. She landed on her face. Chaos begins.

Runner on 1st ended up scoring, DD ended up on 3rd.

Apr 14, 2022
If you want to understand aggressive baserunning watch any game coached by Bill Conroy and his Bandits team or really any Bandits team but Bill builds his teams for this. No hit or steal or even a walk is one base is the mindset he teaches his players. Everybody runs even his slower players and in this case slower means average because he doesn’t put actual slow players on his team. He loses base runners sometimes and it has certainly cost a game or two over the time we’ve been with the orange but more often than not it works and it’s a fun style of softball to watch and certainly some of it doesn’t translate to the next level due to the skill of the defense but the mind set certainly does.

In my opinion more games are lost with aggressive base running than won.
No one ever considers the batter in the on deck circle at the end of inning or game would be hitting.
But hey I also believe you should try and steel bases play small ball at the back of your lineup not your top.

Aug 5, 2022
In my opinion more games are lost with aggressive base running than won.
No one ever considers the batter in the on deck circle at the end of inning or game would be hitting.
But hey I also believe you should try and steel bases play small ball at the back of your lineup not your top.

I would imagine Bill and all of his PGF championship rings would disagree with you but that’s why there are many many different styles and opinions to this game

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad