Being a Runner~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Browsing dfp this morning recognized there is hitting pitching catching and fielding forums,
* How about being a runner!
To start conversation
some examples there may be different thought processes on~

1. How to run the bases.
~ Running paths, angles and approach.
~ Where foot should touch the bag.

2. How to take lead offs.
~In motion with pitcher or at release point.
~Coming off the bag facing the pitcher or facing the next base.

3. Things can do to help steal bases.
~ What to look for, pitch trajectory, the defense, the catcher.

💥Go DFP 💥
Bring on the coaching and observational feedback!
See if we can all build a good resource on being a runner!

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I have a pitcher and a catcher. When they get on base, they get a courtesy runner. I'm no help... 😂

That being said, my younger daughter's team works extensively on base running at practice. They want the girls to be self-sufficient on the bases and learn to make their own decisions and not rely on the base coach for everything. They work on how to get back on pick-off attempts, when to take the extra base on a ball in the dirt, and how to get in a rundown to allow the runner to score from third. It helps the runners and the defense at the same time.

Aug 21, 2020
Good timing on this topic. I found this podcast with Skylar Wallace that came out this month on her baserunning. DD got a few tips from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Most of my thinking about next year right now is about base running. We started to work on it a lot more this summer, and I've seen it pay off.

Something that's hard to practice -- I've found some ways, but if someone else has any ideas let me know -- is teaching them to get good reads off the bat.

It drives me absolutely crazy watching girls hold their leads, or worse, run back to the bag, on balls to the outfield that Ken Griffey in his prime couldn't catch.

I was watching a travel game today. Runner on first. Soft line drive to shallow RF. The right fielder was playing a good 60 feet into the grass. If the runner had checked the outfielders pre-pitch and read the ball off the bat (instead of just thinking "ball in air = don't move!"), she would've coasted into third easy. Instead, she settled for one base because she didn't actually break for second until after the ball bounced.

Good base running teams take the extra base on those balls. You don't have to be very fast. You don't have to steal a lot of bases (or any, even). But you absolutely HAVE to take extra bases when they're available.

In the example I gave, there is a good chance that the RF would've seen the runner trying to third and made an unwise decision to try to get her out, which could've allowed the batter-runner to advance to second (if, you know, she was paying attention and not happy she got a single).

I think I'm going to do a drill where runner can't stop until they're tagged out or they're safe at a base where a play is made on them just to try to instill that aggressive mentality.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Always be looking to get 2 bases on every play within your ability.

DD is a catcher, who often got a courtesy runner. Unfortunately, that does not help when you get to college. It still happens to her in key situations with speedsters waiting in the dugout.

Nov 18, 2015
If the runner had checked the outfielders pre-pitch
This is a big one for me. That deer in headlights pose just b/c the ball is in the air. Happens every other game or so, and definitely need to work it into practice more (somehow!), b/c the in-game reminders in the dugout don't always seems to stick.

I put this in the "requires no athleticism" category - something every player can do regardless of skill level.

They want the girls to be self-sufficient on the bases and learn to make their own decisions and not rely on the base coach for everything.
Love this. I try to tell the girls that as much as I'd like to have a game controller in my hands and be able to control their every move, it doesn't (and shouldn't!) work that way. Of course, there's the occasional disagreement with another AC whose past statements have included "your only job is to run and listen to the base coaches". 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Stay in athletic posture when on the base path. Much easier to balance and shift our weight when staying in an athletic posture versus standing upright.

As defensive players/catchers this is something to look for in Runners to determine throwing and back-picks.

If Runners are upright it's more difficult to shift and turn direction.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Some kids have softball instincts (awareness, being able to quickly process what you see and use prior experience, aggressiveness,etc) and some don’t. If they are not good baserunners by 2nd year 14’s they probably won’t ever be. Adequate maybe, but not good. Some MLB’ers cannot run the bases...but what they can do is so good that it gets overlooked until you mess up in the World Series..

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Always be looking to get 2 bases on every play within your ability.

This is the mentality I'm trying to instill. Any ball to the outfield is at least two bases unless I stop you or the defense does something to make you stop. Any ball in the infield where they're not making a play on you, round the base at least one step as you find the ball (we don't play at a high enough level where doing this is going to hurt us).

Can't tell you how many times we could've taken an extra base on an infield error but the runners run directly to a base and just stop. They completely shut down everything. And it's not laziness. It's like they're a computer who was programmed to advance one base and then they just stand there waiting for the next input instead of actually playing the game they're involved in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101