Colleges who CAN START RECRUITING EARLY befor D1's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Within the discussion that has stopped D1 colleges from early recruiting...
Are colleges that can still do early recruitment.
Like D3's who are already having phone conversations with players who cannot be contacted by D1's yet...

Sooo🤷‍♀️... since SOME colleges can still do early recruiting....
*what's the real consequence (*or not)
to colleges having conversations with players?
SEEMS there is still opportunity for some player athletes and not others.
Hmmm 🤔 why split the rule set on who can recruit early or not?
Should it be either no one can recruit early or everybody can?!

💥DFP what's the feedback on this?💥

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013

D3 coaches still face a LOT of obstacles in the recruiting process. Besides the fact they can't give athletic scholarships - many people still see them as inferior. Many D3 & NAIA schools have smaller recruiting budgets which is also consideration.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
That right there is funny!!! I would be happy to give him my profile sheet. Some coaches and parents don't have a clue.

The weird thing is, D3 can talk to you and give you verbal, but in all reality they are waiting at the back of the line while those kids that think they are going D1 aren't getting the offers they hoped. When they finally realize D1's aren't knocking down your door, the D3's and Juco are there happily, patiently waiting their turn.

DD verbally committed Fall of her Jr year, and when was told she has a spot, the coach then asked how much time do you need. DD said I don't need any time and she's ready! The coach's face look of surprise and astonishment was priceless. Mom, Dad are you good with this??? We were sad to learn when DD got a phone call from this coach informing her he's moving on to an Asst position at Kansas. He was the OK State HC before Kenny G.

Aug 6, 2013
That right there is funny!!! I would be happy to give him my profile sheet. Some coaches and parents don't have a clue.

The weird thing is, D3 can talk to you and give you verbal, but in all reality they are waiting at the back of the line while those kids that think they are going D1 aren't getting the offers they hoped. When they finally realize D1's aren't knocking down your door, the D3's and Juco are there happily, patiently waiting their turn.

DD verbally committed Fall of her Jr year, and when was told she has a spot, the coach then asked how much time do you need. DD said I don't need any time and she's ready! The coach's face look of surprise and astonishment was priceless. Mom, Dad are you good with this??? We were sad to learn when DD got a phone call from this coach informing her he's moving on to an Asst position at Kansas. He was the OK State HC before Kenny G.
Right? I mean this is the head coach of the D3 National Champions in 2021..... crazy people.

DD's commitment story is very similar - right after her fall tb season ended she went on a visit and got her offer and accepted on the spot. Coach was also surprised and then very excited when he realized she was serious lol. Let's hope the rest isn't - he has done so many good things with the UMBC program. I'm hoping they hold on to him for a while longer (5 years to be exact lol).

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Right? I mean this is the head coach of the D3 National Champions in 2021..... crazy people.

DD's commitment story is very similar - right after her fall tb season ended she went on a visit and got her offer and accepted on the spot. Coach was also surprised and then very excited when he realized she was serious lol. Let's hope the rest isn't - he has done so many good things with the UMBC program. I'm hoping they hold on to him for a while longer (5 years to be exact lol).
Yes!!! We can always hope. Lots of coach turnover in this business. I remember Kuhlmeyer being at Belmont when DD started her recruiting process.

May 27, 2013
Like D3's who are already having phone conversations with players who cannot be contacted by D1's yet...

From my days as a recruiting coordinator in the past few years, the D3’s aren’t typically reaching out to the players early. They might ask to pass along a business card to a player they like but they will typically sit back and wait to be contacted. Like others have mentioned, they wait for the D1 and D2 scramble to pan out. The only ones who seem to be in contact with players earlier are the high academic D3’s and that is more because the players have reached out to them and really want to attend their schools. That process needs to be started early so that the coach can help guide them through the process to make the player more attractive to the admissions dept., which includes advice on course selection, ACT/SAT scores, etc.

ETA: Brandon Elliot is a super nice guy. He reached out to dd after seeing her play at a showcase and was always very pleasant to talk to when discussing players on our team.

Jun 8, 2016
Why isn’t it applied equally across the board? Probably because nobody was committing to a NESCAC school before they had taken algebra?? Sometimes people need to be saved from themselves..

May 27, 2013
I also think it has to do with the fact that offering athletic money looks very attractive to many players/families so the kids were committing before they had any inkling of a clue of what they wanted to do with their lives or what they wanted to major in. Plus kids who were “committing” in 8th grade may have become stagnant or injured by mid-HS and were losing their schools’ interest and being ghosted. Also, coaches were coming and going from schools.

D3’s don’t have the athletic money pull so you didn’t see kids committing to them early. Realistically, there were probably many kids who committed early to D1 programs who washed out in the end. D3 may have been a much better fit for them if they had waited until HS to commit.

Actually still see it now with the “D1 or bust” mentality.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
From my days as a recruiting coordinator in the past few years, the D3’s aren’t typically reaching out to the players early. They might ask to pass along a business card to a player they like but they will typically sit back and wait to be contacted. Like others have mentioned, they wait for the D1 and D2 scramble to pan out.
Making contact through passing on names and phone numbers to start creating a list.
. The only ones who seem to be in contact with players earlier are the high academic D3’s and that is more because the players have reached out to them and really want to attend their schools. That process needs to be started early so that the coach can help guide them through the process to make the player more attractive to the admissions dept., which includes advice on course selection, ACT/SAT scores, etc.
Agree in that academic status grabs attention.
The academic games that are held at tournaments and showcases draw conversations early on from the D3s.

Recommend high academic students that are looking to play in college direction to start attending the academic games as freshmen and sophomores. Get your sat/act test scores to use as a benchmark.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

D3 maybe not so much - especially the high academic ones where you still have to legitimately get past admissions.

But it has certainly created some JUCO and NAIA powerhouses in Florida.
Want to stay within Florida but not quite the power D1 player? Well you can play for a national championship at Florida Southwestern or or Indian River or Weber International or Florida National or several other teams. And it is dirt cheap and mum and dad can come watch you play.

Those teams and coaches establish relationships early and ride them through - JUCO and NAIA have a big pool of scholarship money to hand out. Many NAIA schools even have JV teams, so they can recruit a LOT of players and JV playing time is still time on the field. It is a very attractive place to be for a lot of Florida talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi