MAKE A LIST~ fp Pitchers who can throw 70mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2019
My dd is still in 10u so I haven't gotten to watch fully developed girls play up close often, BUT this spring we faced a pitcher whose dad had a radar on the fence reading 55mph now this was easily the fastest pitcher I've ever seen in the two years of 10u we've played. Our coach have her husband a pocket radar and he came back with a reading of 54mph.

How does 54mph from 35 feet compare to 70 at college distance? I was honestly just proud my dd put the ball in play

May 17, 2023
My dd is still in 10u so I haven't gotten to watch fully developed girls play up close often, BUT this spring we faced a pitcher whose dad had a radar on the fence reading 55mph now this was easily the fastest pitcher I've ever seen in the two years of 10u we've played. Our coach have her husband a pocket radar and he came back with a reading of 54mph.

How does 54mph from 35 feet compare to 70 at college distance? I was honestly just proud my dd put the ball in play

54 is plenty fast from 35' but not unheard of. Think that equates to about 65mph at 43' if my math is correct.

Now imagine 63 at 35' :oops: . We had this discussion a while back, but the girl who pitches for 2010 Bandits was clocked regularly in a 10u tournament at that several years ago. It equates to like 77 mph at 43'. It was stupid to even watch.......

May 23, 2019
54 is plenty fast from 35' but not unheard of. Think that equates to about 65mph at 43' if my math is correct.

Now imagine 63 at 35' :oops: . We had this discussion a while back, but the girl who pitches for 2010 Bandits was clocked regularly in a 10u tournament at that several years ago. It equates to like 77 mph at 43'. It was stupid to even watch.......
That's ridiculous! 😂

May 13, 2021

54mph @ 35’ equates to 66mph @ 43’ and 94mph @ 60’6”.

Nov 5, 2014
54mph @ 35’ equates to 66mph @ 43’ and 94mph @ 60’6”.
This isn't intended to take anything away from
That's quick! Never had never seen that amount of velocity but actually squared it up! Just happened to be directly at the second baseman's chest
This isn't intended to take anything away from Tigerd313's DD as squaring up 54 mph from 35' is an accomplishment but the equating pitch speed from different distances has always been a pet peeve of mine.

Started with the little league world series where you would see a kid throwing hard and they would say the MLB equivalent is 96 mph. Then some kid hits a HR and people think that kid could hit 96. Spoiler alert: He can't. The reason is the slower pitch while starting from a closer distance may spend the same total time in the air as a 96 mph pitch but it spends considerably more time in the hitting zone making it easier to hit.

Jan 1, 2023
There was a girl hitting mid 50s at 10u a few years ago, and then last year I saw on the USSSA AAG tryout website they clocked her between 53-55mph as a 2nd year 12-u. Apparently she made little to no speed gains in 2 years.

Oct 6, 2023
I’m sure most girls lose some of that speed when they transition from an 11” ball to the 12” ball. My daughter, who just turned 10 four months ago, reaches 42-44, but when she was invited to pitch in a 12u tournament, was only hitting 38-40.
But we saw a couple of 12yo easily pitching in the low-mid 50’s. Impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2023
I’m sure most girls lose some of that speed when they transition from an 11” ball to the 12” ball. My daughter, who just turned 10 four months ago, reaches 42-44, but when she was invited to pitch in a 12u tournament, was only hitting 38-40.
But we saw a couple of 12yo easily pitching in the low-mid 50’s. Impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I would say most pitchers lose a little in that transition, but I do think some gain a little more accuracy moving up to the bigger ball. Especially for girls with really big hands/long fingers the 11" is a real challenge.

The girl I mentioned was only 61 in the 11u nationals skills competition. Now she has rebounded and is upper 60s I believe. But is almost more know for power hitting, including a couple out of OK stadium off a tee in front of Gasso :oops: .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad