Colleges who CAN START RECRUITING EARLY befor D1's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
How would you reflect on other College's like say UCLA who could also get the pick of the litter...
But may have a more rigid / difficult acceptance rate.

Would that then also make it easier for Patti's program?!
OU admits 80% of applicants. UCLA admits about 15% of applicants.

All coaches have some leeway in getting athletes admitted, but when you're already accepting 80% of applicants, it's even easier to get the lower academic performers.

Never forget that Dexter Manley had a high school diploma and college degree but was functionally illiterate.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If it is indeed harder to get in then of course that would negatively effect things. That said do they really have a more stringent path to acceptance at UCLA (the athletes..not the general student body) ? I think at the D1 level, the issue of getting top female athletes into a school is probably less of an issue than it is for boys/men in football/basketball. There seem to be less knucklehead top female athletes....lol. I could be wrong of course.
Well we can certainly see acceptance rate differences but would not know how that would impact athletes at those type of colleges 🤷‍♀️

An athlete I know who went to (think it's called College of the Mines in Colorado) their athletic ACT scores necessary to get into the school was a 30 versus 33 non- athlete.

Jun 8, 2016
Well we can certainly see acceptance rate differences but would not know how that would impact athletes at those type of colleges 🤷‍♀️

An athlete I know who went to (think it's called College of the Mines in Colorado) their athletic ACT scores necessary to get into the school was a 30 versus 33 non- athlete.
I think at the D3 level getting in is more of an issue. Be curious to see how softball players at Duke and Stanford (for example) compare, from an academic perspective, to the general student body at those schools. I bet there are differences, but not as much as you would see in the male sports...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
It is pretty neat when a college coach can take a look at a high school players academics and test scores at an early sophomore age and let the athlete know they already have the academic chops to make it into the college's academic standards.
*That in itself has much value for the young person who might not otherwise know of that opportunity unless they sent an application.
Of which would probably be a couple years later.

Jun 8, 2016
It is pretty neat when a college coach can take a look at a high school players academics and test scores at an early sophomore age and let the athlete know they already have the academic chops to make it into the college's academic standards.
Agreed. Although in my case I went from 35th in my class (of 600 or so) the beginning of my Jr. to top 10 my Sr. year because the classes were so boring before Jr. yr that I never bothered to study..I was fine with "only" getting A's vs the A+'s the other kids were getting :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
May 21, 2015
South
My DDs's coach (high academic d3) told us that there were 3 categories of recruits:

1. Golden Ticket recruits (guaranteed to get in). There were a very limited number of these.
2. Preferred Recruit (Coach would advise admissions that this applicant was being recruited for softball). There may be a little leeway in admission standards due to participation in sport.
3. Walk on (if you get in on your own, there is a spot for you on team).

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Agreed. Although in my case I went from 35th in my class (of 600 or so) the beginning of my Jr. to top 10 my Sr. year because the classes were so boring before Jr. yr that I never bothered to study..I was fine with "only" getting A's vs the A+'s the other kids were getting :ROFLMAO:
😏 I went to college to play softball so there's that... if the goal was only more academic torment might have swayed me otherwise😁

Jun 8, 2016
😏 I went to college to play softball so there's that... if the goal was only more academic torment might have swayed me otherwise😁
I have always had a hard time just doing something because I am supposed to if I don't enjoy doing it...makes being married hard sometimes :cautious: Even in college there were some classes I couldn't make myself study for..I was fine with the B..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My DDs's coach (high academic d3) told us that there were 3 categories of recruits:

1. Golden Ticket recruits (guaranteed to get in). There were a very limited number of these.
2. Preferred Recruit (Coach would advise admissions that this applicant was being recruited for softball). There may be a little leeway in admission standards due to participation in sport.
3. Walk on (if you get in on your own, there is a spot for you on team).
Last years recruitment cycle had a hitting student who her academics were so wonderful, after she applied for colleges, the academic advisors actually took her file to the softball coaches office to let them know this candidate was already accepted in the college.
( should she want to attend)
As an introduction of the athlete to the college coach. That the athlete was in coming to the softball camp.
She will be attending Aurora College in Illinois.
GO KAYLA!!!

Dec 11, 2010
after she applied for colleges, the academic advisors actually took her file to the softball coaches office to let them know this candidate was already accepted in the college.
RAD, that is an excellent navigation of a complicated situation.

It seems like it would be obvious- but if your student has an inkling that a college coach is interested in her and she is interested in that school, apply and get accepted.

Thanks to an org head and his team coach playing games, we didn’t find out that a p5 coach was interested in our player until very late in the game. Dd missed out on money because of it. We should have applied and got early accepted even though we thought the college coach wasn’t interested. Huge mistake on our part.

You have to be extremely careful with org heads. They are middle men who are making side deals and may not have your kids best interest at heart. They have experience playing a game that you have never played or have played very little. Ymmv.

About the above: another parent of a d1 psa warned me early on “the worst thing that can happen is that (insert name of org head) finds out that a school is interested in your kid. He will go to the college coach and say ‘you like Player A? If so, you will REALLY like Player B’.”

What was his motivation? No idea. Seems like it’s really bad business to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi