MAKE A LIST~ fp Pitchers who can throw 70mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
Define "much harder." We saw plenty of girls at the 16U IDT throwing 62-65, but not higher than that, and we finished in 8th place.

If I remember correctly they have 3 right around 60, but that's also a 2010 team. Like him I would think 18u would be much higher than mid-50s at high level showcase.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
If I remember correctly they have 3 right around 60, but that's also a 2010 team. Like him I would think 18u would be much higher than mid-50s at high level showcase.
Okay, right around 60 is a little ambiguous. To some people, that could be 58.

I'm not saying they don't have three first-year girls throwing 60. I'm just saying they're not cruising there in games. I asked permission from every one of my daughter's teammates parent to put them on the PR. I also asked them what their daughter threw. Of the four I got, (one was away, and one was my daughter), three said 60, and one said upper 50s. The top speed I got from those four was 58 from one, 57 from another, and 56 from the other two. Mind you, these were in-game speeds, not lessons. When I informed them of the speeds, they were all in disbelief. They were shocked that their precious daughters weren't throwing over 60 because they had all done it in lessons. Well, games are a different animal. Maybe they need to conserve energy, so they are slower. Maybe it's the field conditions, the wind, the sun in their eyes, or the train going by. I really don't know why, but the radar opened their eyes.

Remember, this was a relatively small sample size, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure there are more throwing 60+ out there. But when only 18.75% of the pitchers we saw this weekend threw 60+, I'd say the more likely scenario is people like to exaggerate.

May 17, 2023

I'm not saying they don't have three first-year girls throwing 60. I'm just saying they're not cruising there in games. I asked permission from every one of my daughter's teammates parent to put them on the PR. I also asked them what their daughter threw. Of the four I got, (one was away, and one was my daughter), three said 60, and one said upper 50s. The top speed I got from those four was 58 from one, 57 from another, and 56 from the other two. Mind you, these were in-game speeds, not lessons. When I informed them of the speeds, they were all in disbelief. They were shocked that their precious daughters weren't throwing over 60 because they had all done it in lessons. Well, games are a different animal. Maybe they need to conserve energy, so they are slower. Maybe it's the field conditions, the wind, the sun in their eyes, or the train going by. I really don't know why, but the radar opened their eyes.

Remember, this was a relatively small sample size, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure there are more throwing 60+ out there. But when only 18.75% of the pitchers we saw this weekend threw 60+, I'd say the more likely scenario is people like to exaggerate.

Yeah I do think there are plenty of parents that over-estimate the speed they are seeing or what their kids throw. From young age there were some girls few years older who took lessons at the same place as DD. They always used PR every session/game so we kind of adopted the same thing.

Early on I can remember one particular girl who hit 65 when she was 13. I thought she had to be the #1 pitcher in country :ROFLMAO: . Don't get me wrong she is good (and did beat #1 13u team in country that season), but isn't even the #1 on her HS team now.

Apr 14, 2022

Testing data is similar. One I looked at for 2025s 38% threw over 60 and 15% over 62. So if they lose 2mph in games your numbers seem plausible.
I originally thought the deviation from what you hear was elite velo kids may not need results? So they do not get tested?
The other is people like to exaggerate. A pitcher from a few towns over was said to throw upper 60s, until she faced a d1 commit throwing 65 no-one said upper 60s after that lol.
The final one is how they do the age cutt offs. You get a 2 grade gap at each level, and pitchers gain 3-5 mph a year until they are freshman. When I hear 14u I think 7-8 grade, in reality national teams we have played 90% first half birthdays. Subtract 5 could just be perspective and grade level.

Aug 21, 2008
I have not read through this whole thread, so forgive me if this was already mentioned. But, we'd be remiss if we didn't mention that it wasn't until 2019 that pitchers were allowed 1 foot on the rubber. Prior to that, both feet were in contact to start. The pitching rule change alone has brought countless pitchers who were below 60mph, over that threshold and beyond.

This is something that cannot be overstated. Prior to 2019, those pitchers hitting upper 60's, possibly even 70 were almost freaks of nature and the fastest in the game. Now, with current rule changes, more pitchers than ever will break the 70 mph mark.

Personally I think we're getting close to the maximum a female pitcher will be able to throw. No, that's not meant to be sexist. But, the fastest of the fast male pitchers is throwing 86 mph. And that 86mph is happening a lot with extremely liberal pitching rules. The women have yet to capitalize on having fewer restrictions but, it won't take very long. I don't think women will ever throw 86, even with the rule changes. But, a legit 75 mph pitch is probably not too far in the horizon. And notice I said legit, not some 12u dad who believes his DD can throw 70, and certainly not anyone on ESPN because we all know their gun(s) are not accurate.

And it just needs to be said, faster doesn't always mean better. And the guy I mentioned who can hit 86mph has had a lot of arm and shoulder issues in his career. So, faster doesn't mean safer mechanics either! In fact, one could argue he's throwing 86 from strength not mechanics, which is why he gets injured.

May 27, 2013
Here’s my personal opinion on elite velocity….

I think you will see several girls who hit 14U hovering right around 60. Unfortunately, the ugly reality of puberty then starts to set in. They now not only have to adjust to getting taller, they also have to adjust to wider hips and other body parts that they didn’t really have prior. Also have to adjust to weight gain. Then they have the effect of estrogen on the ligaments, as well as mood (yeah, I admit it).

Some pitchers go through this and make the adjustment without much difficulty. Typically those who have great body awareness. I think most pitchers have a very tough time with it. They were pitching very well, hitting spots with good velocity. Now all of a sudden their velocity has dropped and they can’t throw a strike on a good day. It takes a pitcher (also a parent) with a lot of heart and determination to want to work through that, as it can be extremely frustrating. They start walking a lot of batters, or start getting hit around. I think there are a good number of pitchers who, once they hit this point, decide to stop pitching because they once dominated and no longer do.

Then it becomes the rare few who make it through those changes and then want to take it up a notch to do what it takes to throw harder (weights, nutrition, reps, etc). These are the ones who develop elite speed. Obviously, genetics also play a part, as well.

Just my 2 cents.

May 17, 2023
Here’s my personal opinion on elite velocity….

I think you will see several girls who hit 14U hovering right around 60. Unfortunately, the ugly reality of puberty then starts to set in. They now not only have to adjust to getting taller, they also have to adjust to wider hips and other body parts that they didn’t really have prior. Also have to adjust to weight gain. Then they have the effect of estrogen on the ligaments, as well as mood (yeah, I admit it).

Some pitchers go through this and make the adjustment without much difficulty. Typically those who have great body awareness. I think most pitchers have a very tough time with it. They were pitching very well, hitting spots with good velocity. Now all of a sudden their velocity has dropped and they can’t throw a strike on a good day. It takes a pitcher (also a parent) with a lot of heart and determination to want to work through that, as it can be extremely frustrating. They start walking a lot of batters, or start getting hit around. I think there are a good number of pitchers who, once they hit this point, decide to stop pitching because they once dominated and no longer do.

Then it becomes the rare few who make it through those changes and then want to take it up a notch to do what it takes to throw harder (weights, nutrition, reps, etc). These are the ones who develop elite speed. Obviously, genetics also play a part, as well.

Just my 2 cents.

I think those are some excellent points. Elite velo at 12u or 14u certainly isn't a guaranty to translate into HS or College success.

Distant cousin has a daughter who pitches. She hit 60 in 12u lesson, but was a January birthday and one of the biggest kids. She now pitches in 18u and throws it about the same. Effective but certainly not elite. She likely just matured earlier and maybe peaked at that point.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023
I have not read through this whole thread, so forgive me if this was already mentioned. But, we'd be remiss if we didn't mention that it wasn't until 2019 that pitchers were allowed 1 foot on the rubber. Prior to that, both feet were in contact to start. The pitching rule change alone has brought countless pitchers who were below 60mph, over that threshold and beyond.

This is something that cannot be overstated. Prior to 2019, those pitchers hitting upper 60's, possibly even 70 were almost freaks of nature and the fastest in the game. Now, with current rule changes, more pitchers than ever will break the 70 mph mark.

Personally I think we're getting close to the maximum a female pitcher will be able to throw. No, that's not meant to be sexist. But, the fastest of the fast male pitchers is throwing 86 mph. And that 86mph is happening a lot with extremely liberal pitching rules. The women have yet to capitalize on having fewer restrictions but, it won't take very long. I don't think women will ever throw 86, even with the rule changes. But, a legit 75 mph pitch is probably not too far in the horizon. And notice I said legit, not some 12u dad who believes his DD can throw 70, and certainly not anyone on ESPN because we all know their gun(s) are not accurate.

And it just needs to be said, faster doesn't always mean better. And the guy I mentioned who can hit 86mph has had a lot of arm and shoulder issues in his career. So, faster doesn't mean safer mechanics either! In fact, one could argue he's throwing 86 from strength not mechanics, which is why he gets injured.

That is my question did the rule change result in: 1) higher velocity at younger ages 2) higher velocity at a pitcher's peak or 3) both.

I do think better athletes are pitching today with the increase in popularity of the sport. Also more coaches that understand correct mechanics. So better athletes getting better training and more strength training SHOULD mean increased velo across the sport.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That is my question did the rule change result in: 1) higher velocity at younger ages 2) higher velocity at a pitcher's peak or 3) both.

I do think better athletes are pitching today with the increase in popularity of the sport. Also more coaches that understand correct mechanics. So better athletes getting better training and more strength training SHOULD mean increased velo across the sport.
In June 2020, the start-back rule was implemented by my daughter's coach. In one lesson, she went from 54 to 59 MPH. The only change made was the start back. She has never seen another jump in velocity of that size since then. They've all been minor, and they've become more challenging to achieve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves