Live Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
My dd needs to see as much live pitching as possible mainly for timing issues. Is it ok for me to pitch overhand to her from 43' or will I be causing more problems than good?

Jan 24, 2009
My dd needs to see as much live pitching as possible mainly for timing issues. Is it ok for me to pitch overhand to her from 43' or will I be causing more problems than good?

You are throwing from 43' for timing/live pitch simulation. Don't sweat that you can't get it done throwing underhand. Throw overhand from a windup, not from the stretch. That simulates windmilling for timing. The arm circle just goes the opposite direction.

You might want to practice this a few times and polish up your throwing before pitching to your DD. Yes, talking overhand here. If you hit her with a pitch on day one, you can throw this idea out the window for a long, LONG time. You'll lose her trust and she'll be afraid every time you pitch to her. It will be 'not fun' and counterproductive, so polish up and get good control beforehand, Daddy!

Have fun!
VW

Mar 12, 2009
That's exactly why I want to throw overhand...lol! I've tried underhand before and you can tell she's scared to death but you're right...I better warm up a little before we start and convince her I won't hit her!

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Wouldn't that mess her up when facing underhand? Underhand pitching certainly messes up baseball players.

I'm not saying it will do more harm than good it's just not the same. Maybe in moderation.

Jun 20, 2008
I throw overhand from a knee closer than 43 behind a screen, and I love beaning them once and a while, it's the only joy I have!

Oct 10, 2011
I throw underhand as hard as possible and closer than 43 to make up the speed difference. I figure at least she gets practice on not swinging at bad pitches:)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. It doesn't matter at all whether you throw overhand or underhand. Do what you can do. Sure, if you can pitch windmill, that is well and good. But front toss, no matter how it is thrown is great. I have heaved tennis balls to my students for 30 years. I am not at 60 feet, pitching. I am behind an L screen, at about 30 feet.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
No. It doesn't matter at all whether you throw overhand or underhand. Do what you can do. Sure, if you can pitch windmill, that is well and good. But front toss, no matter how it is thrown is great. I have heaved tennis balls to my students for 30 years. I am not at 60 feet, pitching. I am behind an L screen, at about 30 feet.

Do you prefer overhand because you can get more speed?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA