College Pitching Question?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
The days seem more frequent 5-6 including games. but the number of pitches during practice is lower than I expected. 50-60 max during bullpen. Starters never go live. I almost feel it would be more beneficial to throw less days but more pitches each day.

May 27, 2013
The days seem more frequent 5-6 including games. but the number of pitches during practice is lower than I expected. 50-60 max during bullpen. Starters never go live. I almost feel it would be more beneficial to throw less days but more pitches each day.
Yes - that’s how I feel, too. Give them a couple of days off from actually pitching. Maybe just a loose warmup on those days. I’m a huge believer of not throwing the day before games, too. I never booked dd pitching lessons the day before a tournament or camp.

I honestly don’t know how many pitches they throw in a bullpen or how much they throw when they throw live but all four pitchers do it.

I‘ll also just say that dd has not complained at all about doing it, I’m just trying to understand what is typical for college pitchers. I know they threw a lot this week because the coaches really wanted to work on offense so they needed live pitching. To me they look “tired” now while pitching in games for lack of a better word. one day off a week from pitching just doesn’t seem healthy, IMHO.

Aug 21, 2008
Yes - that’s how I feel, too. Give them a couple of days off from actually pitching. Maybe just a loose warmup on those days. I’m a huge believer of not throwing the day before games, too. I never booked dd pitching lessons the day before a tournament or camp.

I honestly don’t know how many pitches they throw in a bullpen or how much they throw when they throw live but all four pitchers do it.

I‘ll also just say that dd has not complained at all about doing it, I’m just trying to understand what is typical for college pitchers. I know they threw a lot this week because the coaches really wanted to work on offense so they needed live pitching. To me they look “tired” now while pitching in games for lack of a better word. one day off a week from pitching just doesn’t seem healthy, IMHO.
Is she playing NAIA? I know the rules for just about everything in NAIA is very different to NCAA. 6 games in a week surprises me too. Does your DD's school play make up games from weather cancelations? Just curious.

May 27, 2013
Is she playing NAIA? I know the rules for just about everything in NAIA is very different to NCAA. 6 games in a week surprises me too. Does your DD's school play make up games from weather cancelations? Just curious.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. This past week’s weekday DH was canceled due to rain.

No. She is NCAA D3.

Jul 2, 2013
I almost posted this same question at the beginning of the spring season.

At the beginning of the season DD was throwing 1 hour bullpens 4 days a week and then sometimes live pitching the fifth day followed by double headers on Saturday and Sunday. On weeks that they had mid-week games (typically on Wednesday) they would still throw bullpens on Monday and Tuesday, and live pitch on Friday. Now that they are later in the season they have Mondays off every week.

Her team is also short on pitchers so there's no "bp pitchers". It's all hands on deck for live pitching.

I thought this was a lot but didn't post anything because I spoke to a few former college pitchers (D1 and down) and college coaches and they all said they had basically the same schedule.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619