Playing up (School Ball) ???????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2022
I'm sure some of you have had to help your DD make this decision. Suppose your DD is asked to play for the Varsity School team but she's JV age eligible. It seems like the offer to play up is mainly as a backup and she's probably not in the starting lineup.

Is play time more important than quality of play?

The quality of coaching at both V & JV levels is mediocre.

Jun 20, 2015
mediocre coaching aside, Playing is better than sitting. So playing every minute of JV should be more beneficial than bucket sitting on varsity.

And being on a legit travel team playing higher level competition all summer, is better than either.

May 20, 2015
does JV get a full schedule?

is swinging an option?

does JV get the same amount of practice time as the V?

is the level of play with JV going to be at least somewhat competent?

is there any chance she can earn more time with V?

Feb 28, 2022
All good questions. There are a lot of variables. She's on a very competitive travel team and will be playing 1 tournament during school ball and practicing 2x a week for travel. She has a packed June and July travel schedule.

There is maybe 15% more practices at Varsity than JV.

There are maybe 20% more games in V vs. JV.

Based on past years I don't believe this coach will allow her to earn more playing time. He plays girls based on how upset the parents get and who they're related to.

The JV team may be better than the Varsity team, but the teams we would play on JV are not great.

She can't alternate between V & JV.

May 20, 2015
All good questions. There are a lot of variables. She's on a very competitive travel team and will be playing 1 tournament during school ball and practicing 2x a week for travel. She has a packed June and July travel schedule.

There is maybe 15% more practices at Varsity than JV.

There are maybe 20% more games in V vs. JV.

Based on past years I don't believe this coach will allow her to earn more playing time. He plays girls based on how upset the parents get and who they're related to.

The JV team may be better than the Varsity team, but the teams we would play on JV are not great.

She can't alternate between V & JV.

will playing V set her up better for next year?

where are her friends?

Aug 20, 2017
In my neck of the woods, best players play varsity which typically consists of older players but if a 7th or 8th grader is one of the best she plays varsity. JV is majority 8th-9th graders and we have middle school of 7th-8th graders only

May 20, 2015
Is it only me? I find it odd that middle schoolers can play on a HS team? Are these schools under one roof? K-12? Private School?

in Maine I believe it is enrollment based.......if a school has an enrollment of less than 60 in one gender, they can use 8th graders to fill out the roster......we just had two sophomores score their 1,000 points in the same basketball game this winter, they had both been starting since 8th grade

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles