Lean back on Release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
How do I get my pitchers to lean more away from the catcher on release. I see Jennie finch, Cat and others almost pointing their noses in the air on release. What is the benefit of doing this?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
How do I get my pitchers to lean more away from the catcher on release. I see Jennie finch, Cat and others almost pointing their noses in the air on release. What is the benefit of doing this?

It provides resistance to the stride leg that is needed for many pitches, especially the riseball.

Push off with as slight forward lean and touch down with a slight backwards lean.

Sounds like you might need to extend their stride length.

I like to use a bungie chord attached to a waist belt. I simply pull her toward me and help her get more momentum. The pitchers job is to hit the brakes and maintain a tall posture position without walking through her pitch. This helps them feel resistance which creates better whip. I have alot of success doing this with my students.

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Thanks for the replies. I will try the bungee thing to see if they react to it well. We video taped the girls and 1 of them has great leg drive but once it reaches a certain length the leg goes straight down and then she has a soft front leg, and then the lean forward happens. The other one has a really good stride with minimal soft front, very minimal, she has a good firm front leg just ever so slightly bent. She still has some forward lean though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12