Shoulder position at release?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
What should the shoulder position be at release? I apologize if there is another thread. Should they be in line with the plate, slightly rotated or more like below. DD went to a camp seemed to want inline with 2nd and the plate but that does not reflect what I see the top pitchers actually doing.

Attachments

• IMG_5247.jpeg
    IMG_5247.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 33
Nov 9, 2021
This won’t help answer the question but it just emphasizes to me how hard this pitching journey can be. Multiple respected sources can tell you to different things. None of us want to have our DD’s waste time learning the wrong things. But there is always some doubt about whether they are doing things the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2022
This won’t help answer the question but it just emphasizes to me how hard this pitching journey can be. Multiple respected sources can tell you to different things. None of us want to have our DD’s waste time learning the wrong things. But there is always some doubt about whether they are doing things the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. It is tough to find what the correct information is. Spent some time YouTube. lol

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Inline with home and second is extreme, I don't know if I've ever seen a pitcher on video with that position, or even close to it. There is room for variation in the pitching motion, looking for absolutes can limit a pitcher's natural mechanics. The shoulder alignment sometimes changes with the pitch. As a drill for exploration trying to stay completely open is fine, but not as a final product.

Apr 14, 2022
Inline with home and second is extreme, I don't know if I've ever seen a pitcher on video with that position, or even close to it. There is room for variation in the pitching motion, looking for absolutes can limit a pitcher's natural mechanics. The shoulder alignment sometimes changes with the pitch. As a drill for exploration trying to stay completely open is fine, but not as a final product.
Thank you, my question is what is gained drilling something that is not a final product?
Not trying to be argumentative but would like to know.

Jan 6, 2018
Slightly behind the hips is ideal. I try to get my girls to match the hip angle with the shoulders and let their body sort it out. Some are slightly behind, some equal, some slightly ahead. The important part is that the torso decelerates as the forearm accelerates. Often times the youngin's will rotate the shoulders to muscle the ball - they need to learn stability. The exact angle may not be an absolute, but the stability is.

Apr 14, 2022
Slightly behind the hips is ideal. I try to get my girls to match the hip angle with the shoulders and let their body sort it out. Some are slightly behind, some equal, some slightly ahead. The important part is that the torso decelerates as the forearm accelerates. Often times the youngin's will rotate the shoulders to muscle the ball - they need to learn stability. The exact angle may not be an absolute, but the stability is.
Thank you. This makes more sense.
I attached pictures of Jordy Bahl. It appears her hips and shoulder rotate together.

Attachments

• IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5264.jpeg
    IMG_5264.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 29
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Thank you, my question is what is gained drilling something that is not a final product?
Not trying to be argumentative but would like to know.
It is based on the principles of Differential Learning (vs repetition based on an ideal movement pattern). Warning; this is a deep rabbit hole, these articles will give you the general idea;

https://tyleranzmann.com/fitness/di...ool-to-improve-the-rate-of-skill-acquisition/

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
What should the shoulder position be at release? I apologize if there is another thread. Should they be in line with the plate, slightly rotated or more like below. DD went to a camp seemed to want inline with 2nd and the plate but that does not reflect what I see the top pitchers actually doing.
Definitely dont want the shoulders in line with 2B and Home at release so not sure why she wouldve been told that.

Sarah Pauly Arm Circle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles