Looking for opinions on what to work on at this point.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Here’s how we work on it

For DD, we had a progression drill that utilized a similar sized PVC pipe (or dowel rod). However, we didn't go so far up with the arms as in this video. I'll do my best to explain. (Though, DD had a teammate who did similar but without the PVC pipe).

Our purpose for the DD's progression drill was to accomplish 2-3 things. #1: Being as square as possible in shoulders and hips for as long as possible. #2: Fix any swimming, or pulling out, of the glove side shoulder. #3: Get to 45(ish)-deg hip position at release.

Progression.....
1. Holding the PVC pipe in both hands, at shoulder width and height, fully extended out at the target/catcher....DD would then stride (as close to game length/speed as possible). PVC pipe had to stay out front at shoulder height from stride start to finish. She would do this 5-10 times.

2. Move to holding the PVC pipe out with just the glove hand. Same position, full extended at shoulder height. DD then strides but has the throwing arm to go through full motion (without the ball). Glove arm HAS to stay extended and at shoulder height the whole time. 5-10 times.

3. Repeat #2, but include a ball. 5-10 times.

4. Repeat #3, but allow pitcher to have their glove on. Arm has to stay extended and at shoulder height. 5-10 times.

5. Go to regular/full pitching motion. 5-10 times and review.

This also allowed DD to work on keeping her drag foot in a laces forward, toes down position. Which aids in keeping the hip from opening up too much. The pitcher will also get a ton of "feels" during this progression. Especially for allowing the arm circle to be the mechanism that opens the shoulder and hip. All the while helping create a "muscle memory" for the glove side, with the goal to keep the glove side shoulder from pulling out.

I hope that makes sense. I've posted this drill before as it really helped my DD with the exact glove side issue OP's DD has.

Note: DD pitched out of the glove. So from a starting perspective, holding the PVC pipe with both hands and striding wasn't as awkward as say a pitcher who has a pull back start. Though, it took her a few times of going through this drill to feel comfortable with it. To be honest, she hated it at first. Then grew to enjoy it.

Jan 25, 2022
The second part is true, but the first part is not. I would be amazed if an 8 year old had the combination of body awareness and core strength to drive hard enough to achieve the "weightless" effect AND maintain decent posture and mechanics.

The body will open just fine - both the shoulders and hips - even if the pitcher just steps out. In fact, this pitcher's hips are open just fine. Its her upper body that is the problem.

I don't really disagree with you on that. I certainly don't expect an 8 year old to do everything well, or even possess the strength and coordination (as you stated) to do it at all, but she's already showing decent body control and a strong enough push--the push is just happening late. I do see some opening now after more viewing. I think the shirt flapping kinda got in my field of vision. Still doesn't appear to be enough, and if she keeps doing that long step and fall she may end up forcing the opening or being taught to do it, which can be really difficult to correct later-on.

I'm gonna leave this be at this point. There's a lot of advice showing up now and I don't want to confuse OP by creating more discussion. I watched my daughter stepping and forced opening for 18 months and we've had to work hard to get to a proper stride (she's 14, 5'5"), and my opinion is that stepping shouldn't be something that lasts long as a taught practice.

In the end. this is still gonna come down to what her pitching coach is teaching. In my case, I felt like if I was paying my kid's coach then I was agreeing to his system, so I asked a lot of questions but tried not to say I wanted him to teach her one thing vs another. It's not like hiring someone to paint my house and being in charge because of my dollar. Ultimately we ended up moving-on for a number of reasons not related to him (great guy), but one of them being that after I spent a ton of time studying mechanics and getting real training of my own, I didn't think the overall system was in her best interest long term. My #1 goal has always been to see her enjoying the game, and I don't think she would be enjoying it in the spring if we had continued there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying