Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Who woulda thunk that the hardest thing to do in sports doesn’t take any conscious know how it just mutates for survival right? Where’s Lorne Green?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The frontside oblique and the backside get primed and loaded during the negative move. The frontside oblique backside oblique, leg and hands get loaded during the forward move.

Think of it as top and bottom during the negative. Bottom and top during the forward move. X formation. Stay in balance with the body. Stay direct with the hands.

The core pulling is correct, the forearms rotate or turn maybe 90 degrees? Max. That’s it. The power is produced by the lag created. Something must pull something else for there to be lag. Unless you don’t think there is lag in the baseball swing?

Sort of... ;) You have mentioned bat/barrel lag before. I see that as a pass through position. I do not want the barrel to stop, slow down, or hesitate at all during the lag position. The barrel is already accelerating before it passes through that position and continues to accelerate. Let's have a 100 meter race. I start accelerating immediately and run straight through the finish line. You can start jogging until you are part way through the race (let's call that lag) and then start accelerating. Not only will I reach a higher speed, but I will get to the finish line first.

Now if you are talking about a different type of lag, you may be on to something. In a manner of speaking, one could consider separation to be a type of lag. Barrel accelerates rearward... Core pulls forward. Separation occurs. Bang!

(I don't think anyone is arguing the oblique stuff... I have stated before that the obliques play an important role. That hasn't changed.)

Jun 8, 2016
Who woulda thunk that the hardest thing to do in sports doesn’t take any conscious know how it just mutates for survival right? Where’s Lorne Green?
Bold could be true (as long as the "mutation" is being caused by environmental factors) in many cases as if you ask 100 Hall of Famers what they did when they hit I would guess you would
get 25 different answers as long as you didn't cherry pick.... ;)

Edit: Don't get me wrong, every good hitter knows how their swing FEELS when it is going right. I don't think anybody disagrees with that and to me
when somebody asks a pro how he hits that is what he is going to describe most of the time.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Let's have a 100 meter race. I start accelerating immediately and run straight through the finish line. You can start jogging until you are part way through the race (let's call that lag) and then start accelerating. Not only will I reach a higher speed, but I will get to the finish line first.
This line of reasoning won't work..I've tried already 3 or 4 times ;)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Bold could be true (as long as the "mutation" is being caused by environmental factors) in many cases as if you ask 100 Hall of Famers what they did when they hit I would guess you would
get 25 different answers as long as you didn't cherry pick.... ;)

Edit: Don't get me wrong, every good hitter knows how their swing FEELS when it is going right. I don't think anybody disagrees with that and to me
when somebody asks a pro how he hits that is what he is going to describe most of the time.
Sort of... ;) You have mentioned bat/barrel lag before. I see that as a pass through position. I do not want the barrel to stop, slow down, or hesitate at all during the lag position. The barrel is already accelerating before it passes through that position and continues to accelerate. Let's have a 100 meter race. I start accelerating immediately and run straight through the finish line. You can start jogging until you are part way through the race (let's call that lag) and then start accelerating. Not only will I reach a higher speed, but I will get to the finish line first.

Now if you are talking about a different type of lag, you may be on to something. In a manner of speaking, one could consider separation to be a type of lag. Barrel accelerates rearward... Core pulls forward. Separation occurs. Bang!

(I don't think anyone is arguing the oblique stuff... I have stated before that the obliques play an important role. That hasn't changed.)

Ok. Seem to be missing the point of why TTB is bad. It’s not adjustable. Yes you can start faster or can you? What I believe has a running start. Yours does not. Your core and barrel go at the same time. No running start. All brute force and speed. No adjustability. In a good swing lag is achieved immediately until release. The core will get out in front aka running start.

Change of speed is why pitchers are good. Not velo. Those guys get 1 inning a game.

Oops. This is for FP. You can respond as well Pattar if you like. 2 birds ...

Jun 8, 2016
Ok. Seem to be missing the point of why TTB is bad. It’s not adjustable. Yes you can start faster or can you? What I believe has a running start. Yours does not. Your core and barrel go at the same time. No running start. All brute force and speed. No adjustability. In a good swing lag is achieved immediately until release. The core will get out in front aka running start.

Change of speed is why pitchers are good. Not velo. Those guys get 1 inning a game.

Oops. This is for FP. You can respond as well Pattar if you like. 2 birds ...
I doubt FP wants to be associated with me...LOL. I understand your point, you've made it to me at least 10^6 times already, I just don't agree that getting the barrel up to speed as early as possible precludes swing adjustability. We'll have to agree to disagree here.

Jun 8, 2016
Your variables don’t mesh. It’s not a race.
From your stance on things, it seems to me you don't believe in pre-launch pitch recognition and the resulting body adjustment due
to this. All adjustments occur after launch for you?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA