Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

I feel Like this is a very good article on hitting and a good explanation between a push swing and a short TTB type of swing.

I think It’s a good read and could help many new to hitting mechanics.

I’m not a Bautista fan due to the Rangers Blue Jays incidents a few years ago but you gotta respect the ability to change.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I feel Like this is a very good article on hitting and a good explanation between a push swing and a short TTB type of swing.

I think It’s a good read and could help many new to hitting mechanics.

I’m not a Bautista fan due to the Rangers Blue Jays incidents a few years ago but you gotta respect the ability to change.

Good article. So there’s this. TMs HIGH level swing pattern

Notice how the core and hands come forward together ... this is what Tewks described as a push swing. Right? Very important check point. So early committal has to happen because he is only generating bat speed out in front correct? As well as early committal.

Another checkpoint was hands and weight going back together right? Pullbacks? Lol. Nonsense.

Here’s AP with a proper core turn before the hands

Here’s Mookie with a proper ‘hand load’ and torso turn.

Here’s Mookie with ‘knob to the ball’ as well. Notice the core turn first.

Here’s Albert taking his knob to the ball

https://youtu.be/FzpNnVXr3ZI

https://imgur.com/a/Ch7VVJl

So ‘knob to the ball’ is correct. ‘Turn the barrel’ is folly. The pros get their swings because of a pulling core and a direct hand path while staying in balance.Sequential movements. Not on a back leg nuclear pivot point that is falling off a cliff. I will take off my cowl and cape now.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here’s a few more examples of a ‘push’ swing. Notice they do ‘turn the barrel’. But there isn’t anything leveraged in front so it is useless.

The BB should go before the the front elbow. Aka oblique stretch. Aka x-factor. This is all done sequentially. Not forced, actions create reactions.

Imo this is an absolute that all great hitters possess. Haven’t seen one that doesn’t create this core leverage. If you don’t have this in your swing. Your pushing.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The bottom line is the change in barrel direction is an effect and synced up with a leveraged lower half so that obliques amongst other muscles can pull on the hands.. If one doesn't achieve a leveraged position the hands will need to push to compensate.

d41ZJmz.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The bottom line is the change in barrel direction is an effect and synced up with a leveraged lower half so that obliques amongst other muscles can pull on the hands.. If one doesn't achieve a leveraged position the hands will need to push to compensate.

d41ZJmz.gif

Never mind... Simply not worth it...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Never mind... Simply not worth it...
I think the point they are trying to make (and they can correct me if I am wrong) is that any initial rearward barrel acceleration has nothing to do with any forces directly applied by the hands/forearms into the handle and is instead just a reaction to a pulling core..e.g. the ole HS physics experiment where you have a pendulum in a car and when the car accelerates forward (the core) the pendulum(barrel) moves in the opposite direction..I don't agree but I believe that is what they are getting at.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think the point they are trying to make (and they can correct me if I am wrong) is that any initial rearward barrel acceleration has nothing to do with any forces directly applied by the hands/forearms into the handle and is instead just a reaction to a pulling core..e.g. the ole HS physics experiment where you have a pendulum in a car and when the car accelerates forward (the core) the pendulum(barrel) moves in the opposite direction..I don't agree but I believe that is what they are getting at.

Yes. What they fail to realize is that the other theory is also "synced up with a leveraged lower half" to quote TDS' words... Sorry, just really not interested in rehashing the same thing over and over.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse