Hit the Back of the Cage? I Don’t Think So

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I’m sure not saying I disagree. I’m saying when I raised the training angle goal ten degrees more “mistakes” got caught. If your normal max is 26 degrees and your “mishit” is 35 degrees, that ends up being a mighty happy accident.

My comment about more balls being caught against better competition might not be fair. Better outfielders catch more lasers too I guess. Still, I think time in the air matters.

To add to your thoughts:

Next time you are at a tournament, walk around and watch all the players hitting down angle balls into nets off tees and side toss. It drives me nuts. They are practicing hitting choppers.

Often overlooked by those looking for more xbh: Right handed hitters that can drive the outside pitch to right field will have many more xbh. Burned right fielders are in deep trouble. I think it is a really similar training issue/hitters mindset to launch angle.

This is a great discussion. I would never quibble with anyone that has a plan.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Depends on the player. A strong girl with an avg EV of 70+, I would suggest working on launch angle. If are not strong enough, you don't want to hit fly balls as they will result in outs.

Average EV of 70+? You mean like power five scholarship players?

Players with that average EV are in a pretty exclusive club.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Thanks for the clarification, Westwind. My main point is more not to discourage kids when they hit the top of the net rather than the back. If you make hitting the back of the net your only goal you'll lose out on a lot.

By the way, totally agree on the rhb hitting down the right field line. That's a long throw to third base so if you can get it into the corner, and the right fielder was playing more straightaway, even a girl with average speed can end up with a three-bagger. Even with a low trajectory, if it's hit hard enough.

Dec 11, 2010
My main point is more not to discourage kids when they hit the top of the net rather than the back. If you make hitting the back of the net your only goal you'll lose out on a lot.
Right on, man!

Even the players count 35 degree bombs as pop ups in the cage since they can’t see the outcome.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How about this advice:

NEVER hit the ball on the ground when in the cage.
Also it can be difficult to know just how when contact was on ball hit into side of cage so I have my DD tell me by grading her own hit. She calls out a number from 1 to 10.

Sep 17, 2009
Next time you are at a tournament, walk around and watch all the players hitting down angle balls into nets off tees and side toss. It drives me nuts. They are practicing hitting choppers.

Bownets are great affordable tools. That said, way too many kids do just this and coaches simply aren't watching/correcting. Which means over a season you are burning in about 10k bad swings. Hit into space (with a plan) whenever you can.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Two things. One is I'm talking about one drill where we finish practice in a fun way with players tossing a ball up and hitting it the length of the cage. Also, as a HS last year, we hit 29 home runs so, we did alright in that measurement. Again, and I mentioned this, those who wrote the article and most of the people posting on this site are a lot smarter than I am.

Jun 8, 2016
Also it can be difficult to know just how when contact was on ball hit into side of cage so I have my DD tell me by grading her own hit. She calls out a number from 1 to 10.
Just out of curiosity how do you actually use this information? If you are seeing too much bad contact during BP do you go
and video her (if you are not already) and see what is going on??

Oct 2, 2017
When my daughter was at skills camp over the weekend. The coach wanted every girl to hit the ball into the air either to the top or top back of the cage net.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad