Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Two questions:
1) Who said the core is not involved in the swing?
2) Why can't the core and the forearms both play a role? Is it physically impossible for more than one body part to work at the same time?

May 12, 2016
Two questions:
1) Who said the core is not involved in the swing?
2) Why can't the core and the forearms both play a role? Is it physically impossible for more than one body part to work at the same time?
1. Nobody said that, But BM did say the core is somehow magically involved
2. The hands and forearm do play a role, I just don't see them as major power source for TTB.. I believe they play a very important role, just not early bat speed, or snapping the barrel from the neck slot

Jun 8, 2016
1. Nobody said that, But BM did say the core is somehow magically involved
2. The hands and forearm do play a role, I just don't see them as major power source for TTB.. I believe they play a very important role, just not early bat speed, or snapping the barrel from the neck slot
The magic comment from him was a sarcastic response to, I think, W=w's view that the rearward barrel movement pointed out in that gif is a reaction to the core movement.....e.g. what I call the pendulum in the car viewpoint...but I think you knew that.

I am sure if you ask him nicely he will let you know how he thinks the core is involved... ;)

May 12, 2016
The magic comment from him was sarcastic but I think you know that. I am sure if you ask him nicely he will let you know how he thinks the core is involved... ;)
Am I being rude? lol, I don't think so. I just see things differently. And the sarcasm is not lost on me, neither is he implication. "There is no pulling forward. Thumb is moving rearwards. Oh wait, maybe the core is magically doing that LOL... " Obviously Butter knows the core is involved in the swing, but he does not believe it's involved in turning the barrel rearward. I apologize if I am misunderstanding you here, please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want to put words in your mouth.

May 3, 2014
Jeez, of course the core is involved. When I tell my hitters to get their rear hip under them and not behind them it engages the core in a very real way. But, the core is not attached to the handle of the bat. The hands are and they connect to the forearms via the wrists. And the forearms (with two bones) can rotate so the handle can be turned and not pulled.

Jun 8, 2016
Am I being rude? lol, I don't think so. I just see things differently. And the sarcasm is not lost on me, neither is he implication. "There is no pulling forward. Thumb is moving rearwards. Oh wait, maybe the core is magically doing that LOL... " Obviously Butter knows the core is involved in the swing, but he does not believe it's involved in turning the barrel rearward. I apologize if I am misunderstanding you here, please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want to put words in your mouth.
No you were not being rude..I was just trying to be funny. There are three physical ways for the barrel to move like that. First way, stand with the bat in your hand and torque it. Second way, stand with the bat loosely (but not loose enough so gravity pulls it down) in your hand and accelerate your body forward, bat will move in opposite direction of your acceleration e.g. reactive e.g. what W=w claims happens e.g. my pendulum in the car example. Three stand with the bat in your hand so loose and angled so that the only force acting on it, gravity, pulls it down in that direction. We all agree third way isn't happening.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
MwOO0P.gif

May 3, 2014
Honestly, how can the muscles in the torso (the core) be responsible for turning the barrel rearwards? If you turn forward as fast as you can it will still not send the barrel rearwards.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I had a similar conversation with two colleagues at work today. I was sitting with one at break and started talking about Steph Curry. I mentioned that I think he is fun to watch and can shoot from anyplace on the court. Another colleague walked in and sat down with us. The first colleague pointed at me and said "he thinks Kevin Durant sucks". Wha??? When did I say that? And so goes the hitting forum...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Jeez, of course the core is involved. When I tell my hitters to get their rear hip under them and not behind them it engages the core in a very real way. But, the core is not attached to the handle of the bat. The hands are and they connect to the forearms via the wrists. And the forearms (with two bones) can rotate so the handle can be turned and not pulled.
The core is attached to the arms which is attached to the hands etc. kinetics. Real . Proven theories.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee