Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Honestly, how can the muscles in the torso (the core) be responsible for turning the barrel rearwards? If you turn forward as fast as you can it will still not send the barrel rearwards.
Really stare at this. Kinetic. Chain. Hips. Then. Hands. Ted said it himself 50 years ago. The swing is like swinging an Axe.

Pick up an axe. NL MVP.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
No you were not being rude..I was just trying to be funny. There are three physical ways for the barrel to move like that. First way, stand with the bat in your hand and torque it. Second way, stand with the bat loosely (but not loose enough so gravity pulls it down) in your hand and accelerate your body forward, bat will move in opposite direction of your acceleration e.g. reactive e.g. what W=w claims happens e.g. my pendulum in the car example. Three stand with the bat in your hand so loose and angled so that the only force acting on it, gravity, pulls it down in that direction. We all agree third way isn't happening.
There are more ways pattar.. for example force slotting your back elbow, but personally I believe this is just least as effective as TTB with hands/forearms.. However the elbow does get slotted. what do you think slots the elbow?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Forearms turn the barrel. Core (assuming you are referring to Jim Dixon Sr. definition) pulls it all towards the ball. Combination of both creates barrel speed and path. So if the question is core or forearms, my answer is both.

May 3, 2014
Really stare at this. Kinetic. Chain. Hips. Then. Hands. Ted said it himself 50 years ago. The swing is like swinging an Axe.

Pick up an axe. NL MVP.

It really isn't anything like swinging an axe. The tree isn't moving and you aren't applying force late into a solid unmovable object. And really stare at the Yelich swing. The hands are moving the barrel rearwards before it gets turned into the ball by the rear leg

Jun 8, 2016
There are more ways pattar.. for example force slotting your back elbow, but personally I believe this is just least as effective as TTB with hands/forearms.. However the elbow does get slotted. what do you think slots the elbow?
I wasn't specifying what muscles generated the torque (although from my wording I can see how it seems that I meant the hands were the ones generating it), only that it is applied through the hands. The forces generated which result in that torque could come from individual muscles (forearms, shoulders,etc) or the scenario which is probably most likely, a combination of muscles (including the forearms), but eventually it is applied through the hands as that is what is holding the bat.

In the second scenario there is also a torque applied to the handle through the hands(opposite direction of the first scenario), this time purely by the hands/forearm muscles so that the bat doesn't just fall under the influence of gravity. In order for the barrel to move in the direction shown without any additional torque in the direction of barrel rotation, the body acceleration would have to be enough to overcome this resisting torque.

It wasn't a post ascribing to one theory or another but purely one which was explaining the physics of a rotational movement of the barrel e.g. something which has one right answer..LOL!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The frontside oblique and the backside get primed and loaded during the negative move. The frontside oblique backside oblique, leg and hands get loaded during the forward move.

Think of it as top and bottom during the negative. Bottom and top during the forward move. X formation. Stay in balance with the body. Stay direct with the hands.
Forearms turn the barrel. Core (assuming you are referring to Jim Dixon Sr. definition) pulls it all towards the ball. Combination of both creates barrel speed and path. So if the question is core or forearms, my answer is both.
The core pulling is correct, the forearms rotate or turn maybe 90 degrees? Max. That’s it. The power is produced by the lag created. Something must pull something else for there to be lag. Unless you don’t think there is lag in the baseball swing?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It really isn't anything like swinging an axe. The tree isn't moving and you aren't applying force late into a solid unmovable object. And really stare at the Yelich swing. The hands are moving the barrel rearwards before it gets turned into the ball by the rear leg

Come on. Presto chango? The actions, the hands articulations the stabilization of the lower half. It’s all the same. We are swinging something at something else, trying to create max force to hit a certain target. Correct? Same exact thing.

Ted didn’t know?

Let me guess, the pros don’t/didn’t know what they do/did? All idiots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA