Jordy Bahl transfers!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2023
Being able to admit YOU (as in yourself) are wrong is not a bad quality to have..
I agree with that.
For final clarification,,,,,,,
in this discussion I was commenting on the cause and effect the situation nil money is creating. yes I commented on how the big money impacts making programs stronger. I did include post #37 nil money making an imbalance.
My apologies that I did not expound further and did not reference the impact on the Lesser programs earlier. Actually did not see the need to reflect on the impact on the Lesser programs while I was commenting about where and how nil money is making programs stronger. But so be it clarification was needed.

On one end is big money on the other end is the Moneyball effect.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
How did it ever come to pass that the once dominant UConn is now just another good team?

One objection I have to many news stories is that they are written as if the world is static and nothing ever changes. They will write about some state of affairs (e.g., OU's dominance of softball right now) as if that will never change. I sort of thought the same about Alabama football not too long ago and things clearly have changed.

I don't suppose OU is going to suck any time soon, but I wouldn't bet on the next ten years being like the last ten years.

Jun 8, 2016
How did it ever come to pass that the once dominant UConn is now just another good team?

One objection I have to many news stories is that they are written as if the world is static and nothing ever changes. They will write about some state of affairs (e.g., OU's dominance of softball right now) as if that will never change. I sort of thought the same about Alabama football not too long ago and things clearly have changed.

I don't suppose OU is going to suck any time soon, but I wouldn't bet on the next ten years being like the last ten years.
I said this in another thread a week ago. Every dynasty ends at some point for one reason or another.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I said this in another thread a week ago. Every dynasty ends at some point for one reason or another.
I started watching hockey when we won the gold in 1980. That passion followed the Islanders winning four straight Stanley Cups. I thought it would never end. Boy, was I wrong.

Jul 19, 2021
I agree with that.
For final clarification,,,,,,,
in this discussion I was commenting on the cause and effect the situation nil money is creating. yes I commented on how the big money impacts making programs stronger. I did include post #37 nil money making an imbalance.
My apologies that I did not expound further and did not reference the impact on the Lesser programs earlier. Actually did not see the need to reflect on the impact on the Lesser programs while I was commenting about where and how nil money is making programs stronger. But so be it clarification was needed.

On one end is big money on the other end is the Moneyball effect.
Rad just call it "pay for play" to satisfy everyone. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Only in softball do you have people in 2023 arguing about a 2011 movie based on a 2003 book about a 2002 baseball season for a team that is moving to Las Vegas so it will have more $$$ to play "moneyball."

By the by, the ultimate irony of the movie Moneyball is that the system did *NOT* work. The GM had to "shake things up" to create the "right chemistry" for the team to start winning. So, the movie suggests that there is more to sports than data analysis. (Cue video of Don Larson, a mediocre pitcher, who for three hours on a Monday afternoon in New York became the best baseball pitcher in the history of the game.)

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As an FYI, this is a SOFTBALL forum. If you want to continue the scintillating discussion about the definition of "moneyball," you can continue it over at reddit.com in r/Lexicography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi