Jordy Bahl transfers!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2023
and...........she back pedals.
➡️I actually said if I use that word incorrectly so be it.

I used the word in this capacity with the influence of the money that nil contributes. Lesser competitive teams do not have the nil advantage.
Screenshot_20230613-082242_Chrome.jpg

$$$$$$ DRIVEN

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
Is it not within your capability to say I was wrong?
I don't have the same compulsion as you do to point out when people are wrong.

I get it..you were a great catcher, had a WCWS record
Yes. But my talents have nothing to do with this conversation.
when softball was "real softball",
I have never said that softball was real then versus how it is now.

Softball has evolved for different reasons. It was highly competitive then and it is highly competitive now.
What is different *Now there are other driving factors to the competition level separating itself from other competitors.

How will this new NIL dilemma turn out?
Interesting to see what changes there may be in the future if any?

May 13, 2023
Moneyball isn't spending anything and buying the best (New York Yankees, Miami Heat, etc.) ... it is the opposite. It is what the Oakland A's (arguably the smallest $$ franchise in MLB) did awhile back.

Moneyball is milking the money to buy the best values. Players that are undervalued and overproduce, so you can get them cheaply. It is heavily statistic driven, not money driven. (Well, money is the limiter, not the fuel.)

It's finding a player who produces Bahl-like numbers, but on a smaller scale so they aren't as noticed.
Yes. I Understand.

Because I was commenting on the influence that Oklahoma has with the nil money. It has created this effect of Moneyball.
Perhaps to have avoided this confusion I should have commented about its effect on the Lesser competitive programs. Instead I commented on drawing the big players with money. It's effects are still Moneyball on the other end.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Moneyball isn't spending anything and buying the best (New York Yankees, Miami Heat, etc.) ... it is the opposite. It is what the Oakland A's (arguably the smallest $$ franchise in MLB) did awhile back.

Moneyball is milking the money to buy the best values. Players that are undervalued and overproduce, so you can get them cheaply. It is heavily statistic driven, not money driven. (Well, money is the limiter, not the fuel.)

It's finding a player who produces Bahl-like numbers, but on a smaller scale so they aren't as noticed.

Chris Pratt at first base?!?

Oct 4, 2018
Yes. I Understand.

Because I was commenting on the influence that Oklahoma has with the nil money. It has created this effect of Moneyball.
Perhaps to have avoided this confusion I should have commented about its effect on the Lesser competitive programs. Instead I reflected on drawing the big players with money. It's effects are still Moneyball on the other end.

You really can't/shouldn't use the term Moneyball to mean spending tons of money to build the best team. That term has already been taken to mean the opposite. And Moneyball was a strategy for teams that didn't have huge budgets. Those teams like the Yankees and Dodgers aren't really part of Moneyball and don't participate in Moneyball. No biggie, you picked the wrong term. We humans choose the wrong words on a daily basis.

I corrected one mom on Facebook who talked about her 8U hitting 12 dingers in rec league. I asked if they went over the fence, and she said no. I got chewed our for that and finally a bunch supported me in the belief that the term "dinger" means "over the fence homerun".

Then there's this one cooking guy who uses the term "incorporate" to mean any of the following: stir, coat, mix, blend, fold, drizzle, rub, etc. I mentioned that he could be more precise. I got chewed out for that. But honestly, you don't really "incorporate ranch dressing" when making a salad. Seems odd, right?

May 29, 2015
Words have meanings. Can we move on now? This devolved into personal comments rather than debating the term.

The large “spend-it-all” sports teams are what cause the need for “moneyball” teams. It all comes from the same problem.

Here is another take: many of these small market “cannot compete” teams do it to themselves. We hail the A’s for that moneyball run, but now the owner is deliberately tanking the team in order to take them somewhere else. Maybe I’m just still bitter over the Rams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi