Why are they using this starting Stance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Why are we seeing Top Level pitchers with a starting stance with one foot directly behind the other. Example Jordy Bahl, Alex Storako among others.

I do not see why this would be advantageous. I have not seen a pitching coach that suggests that starting stance and I do not know of any other sports besides fencing that would start an athletic movement with one foot in front of the other in a line.

AAXs9tA.img

Alex Storako starting stance

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Most athletic stances require the player to react side to side. So you see feet shoulder width apart knees flexed…. Pitchers while delivering a pitch move in a forward direction. So the feet can be linear.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Why are we seeing Top Level pitchers with a starting stance with one foot directly behind the other. Example Jordy Bahl, Alex Storako among others.

I do not see why this would be advantageous. I have not seen a pitching coach that suggests that starting stance and I do not know of any other sports besides fencing that would start an athletic movement with one foot in front of the other in a line.

For the ultimate explosive forward sport (track), the rail width on a sprinters block is roughly 3 inches. Not exactly "in a line" but functionally pretty close. Not sure if what you're seeing from pitchers is exactly in a line?

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Just introduced the concept to a student last night of starting with the feet comfortably apart, then sliding the drive foot over a little on the rock-back to get it closer in line with the spine. I specifically told her not to start with both feet in a line; our pitching circles aren't as nice as the ones Jordy plays on, so the possibility of tipping over while taking the sign is real.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
For the ultimate explosive forward sport (track), the rail width on a sprinters block is roughly 3 inches. Not exactly "in a line" but functionally pretty close. Not sure if what you're seeing from pitchers is exactly in a line?

The left foot is not directly behind the right foot in the OP's picture.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

AAXs9tA.img

Alex Storako starting stance

Goata, her feet are directly underneath the hips and columns. Great starting position.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Hmm, sorry if the given pic was not enough info to prove my point.
Please then refer to this video as more info to the point that her feet are more in line than apart. Most certainly not sprinter width or hip-width apart.
Jody Bahl Throws Perfect game
She is capable of having a stance with one foot directly behind the other. Unless my eyes are fooling me.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I do believe this is a more common stance in men's fastpitch. I just have not seen any coaches of female pitchers promote this nor have I seen until recently college pitchers doing it. Jody is just the most obvious but there are others now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad