College DP / Flex Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
So..... watching Oklahoma Sooners softball (Boomer Sooner!). Bahl starts the game pitching (flex). In 2 games in the past week (including tonight against Tulsa), Bahl has pinch-hit for someone in the lineup other than the DP. How is this ok? As far as I can tell, the DP / Flex is supposed to be the same under college rules as the other rulesets. Am I missing something?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So..... watching Oklahoma Sooners softball (Boomer Sooner!). Bahl starts the game pitching (flex). In 2 games in the past week (including tonight against Tulsa), Bahl has pinch-hit for someone in the lineup other than the DP. How is this ok? As far as I can tell, the DP / Flex is supposed to be the same under college rules as the other rulesets. Am I missing something?
You are correct, FLX can only bat for the DP in the DP's spot in the lineup.

Did you actually see this happen or were you just looking at the box score (which in the Tulsa game makes no sense and looks like it was done by someone who doesn't know what they are doing).

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You are correct, FLX can only bat for the DP in the DP's spot in the lineup.

Did you actually see this happen or were you just looking at the box score (which in the Tulsa game makes no sense and looks like it was done by someone who doesn't know what they are doing).

OU's published lineup (on FB) has Bahl as the Flex and she is listed in the 10-hole in the game summary lineup along with the other pitchers.

Cydney Sanders shows up in the game summary as the DP in the 3-hole.

Bahl did bat in the 2nd inning in the 8-hole after Brito. She lined out to F4 for the third out. You can watch it on the
ESPN+ game recording at the 22:30 mark.

I have no idea how Gasso managed this. Even stranger, the game summary scorecard has no record of the at-bat.

May 29, 2015
giphy.gif

Dec 6, 2019
This happened on my kid's college team a couple times in one week this spring. She was pinch-hit for by the flex in 2 separate games. The girl who was the flex subsequently returned to the flex spot each time.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Are you sure they didn’t make another sub and then made Bahl the OP? They do this all the time.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Are you sure they didn’t make another sub and then made Bahl the OP? They do this all the time.
See 8.1.2.7 in the NCAA Rule book.
Offensive Player (OP) The player in the batting order who is not playing defense because the DP has entered the game. Very common move in the line-up.

Dec 11, 2010
Thats exactly what they did. I tried to explain it but I’m not sure I was right so I deleted my post.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
See 8.1.2.7 in the NCAA Rule book.
Offensive Player (OP) The player in the batting order who is not playing defense because the DP has entered the game. Very common move in the line-up.
Not sure how this applies? Bahl was playing defense (she was pitching) and pinch hit for someone other than the DP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles