Jenna Lilley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann-

Do you teach the lead arm streach (walking away from the hands) that cabrera does? Im asking cause the hitting coach my DD sees doesnt.

Yes. as long as it does not bar any more than Cabreras. I also have one of my 4 (spot)hitters using tip and rip. (which is more hands and helps with a steeper barrel angle) How can you not? its part of the whip. To me its object in motion theory. If you look at the barrel path i drew, and can see it in other swings, the barrel has a running start and rides the whip. Front side scrunch(shoulder down and in) and pulling back(scap pinch) and hands, are creating this beautiful bat path.
cabrerabatpathhighlowgif.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Cabrera in no way whatsoever walks away from his hands.

I understand what you are saying do over, his hands do not travel back as far as some , which is good, but does the distance from his front foot and his hands increase? ( one type of separation)

so in one way, yes he is.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I understand what you are saying do over, his hands do not travel back as far as some , which is good, but does the distance from his front foot and his hands increase? ( one type of separation)

so in one way, yes he is.

And, i use Cabrera as my model for his hand set. and i use it for the reasons redbass " Cabrera hands pretty much 'stay' in the same position(not talking up or down but, back & forward) as he moves out" states.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Cabrera in no way whatsoever walks away from his hands.

You might think that by looking at the gifs with the green dots. When you get a better angle you can see his hands stay in the same place but the distance between his hands and front foot increases. Distance between his hands and body increases too.

Miggy_Side_ST.gif

May 20, 2015
miggy%20overlap_zpseuir29my.gif

Cabrera hands pretty much 'stay' in the same position(not talking up or down but, back & forward) as he moves out.

In the "walking away from the hands" portion of this swing, his hands are very active in that they move up and back in a triangular hypotenuse manner and even start the "running head start" segment of his swing. Mann provided us with a "clip of the year" nominee. Beautiful clip, well done.
The beauty of Mann's clip is shown in the area where the green dots form the overlapped section. That's the running head start. And, as explained in Tweks ebook, well you just have to read it for yourselves.
That's my understanding. My DD doesn't have that yet. She also doesn't "walk away" from her hands. She's stuck in between.

Draw a line at the front position of his hands as he reaches the high point of his leg lift. The pause the clip at his front foot touch. Where are the hands.
Back and up. Right? They also start to supinate (flatten) a bit as the back elbow starts to work towards the rear hip (slot)

IMO

May 20, 2015
You might think that by looking at the gifs with the green dots. When you get a better angle you can see his hands stay in the same place but the distance between his hands and front foot increases. Distance between his hands and body increases too.

Miggy_Side_ST.gif

I think that because I can see the bat barrel's angle become more and more acute.
You can't do that with hands that are "walked away" from.
The hands are very active.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
In the "walking away from the hands" portion of this swing, his hands are very active in that they move up and back in a triangular hypotenuse manner and even start the "running head start" segment of his swing. Mann provided us with a "clip of the year" nominee. Beautiful clip, well done.
The beauty of Mann's clip is shown in the area where the green dots form the overlapped section. That's the running head start. And, as explained in Tweks ebook, well you just have to read it for yourselves.
That's my understanding. My DD doesn't have that yet. She also doesn't "walk away" from her hands. She's stuck in between.

Draw a line at the front position of his hands as he reaches the high point of his leg lift. The pause the clip at his front foot touch. Where are the hands.
Back and up. Right? They also start to supinate (flatten) a bit as the back elbow starts to work towards the rear hip (slot)

IMO

When i drew those dots, i was like "what the %$@?" Then i drew them on another Noontime gif, and the barrel moved the same. AHA. pure luck on my part, but OMG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes