Is all bat lag bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
For us beginners,

What is bat drag and what causes it

What is bat lag and what causes it

Jun 18, 2023
I am, and I'll admit I'm not 100% on what the terms mean, though I'm more focused on kids not stepping back while they're swinging and not lunging at the ball while it's still in the pitcher's hand, so..

My assumption is bat drag is your hands get out in front of your hips and you're dragging the bat though, and

bat lag presumably would be the opposite, when the bat lags behind the hips?

Someone said "The bat's along for the ride with the body" or some such ahead and that made sense to me.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
I am, and I'll admit I'm not 100% on what the terms mean, though I'm more focused on kids not stepping back while they're swinging and not lunging at the ball while it's still in the pitcher's hand, so..

My assumption is bat drag is your hands get out in front of your hips and you're dragging the bat though, and

bat lag presumably would be the opposite, when the bat lags behind the hips?

Someone said "The bat's along for the ride with the body" or some such ahead and that made sense to me.
Help us out guys, please

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
You’re not a beginner
I'm so old I forget a lot so sort of like always a beginner now. It's always quite exciting to learn new things from the young coaches.

Bat drag for swinging around the ball because that what it looks like to a very young player? The young player seems to master the swing quickly lol.

Bat lag for swinging through from behind the ball. A skill that needs to be taught to overcome what is seen?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I'm so old I forget a lot so sort of like always a beginner now. It's always quite exciting to learn new things from the young coaches.

Bat drag for swinging around the ball because that what it looks like to a very young player? The young player seems to master the swing quickly lol.

Bat lag for swinging through from behind the ball. A skill that needs to be taught to overcome what is seen?

Pretty good video !!

I see bat drag as the arms powering the swing while swinging around the body.. Bat lag is the hands free to seek a hand pivot (connection point) to whip the barrel from.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So how do you teach bat lag. Storing up of batspeed and releasing or whipping the barrel into the ball and reaching top speed at point of contact. Drills, cues, ideas??

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Understanding the mechanical side of bat drag is the easy part, understanding how to fix it is the difficult part. The bottom two videos are very much old school approaches; 'do this with your arm/elbow/hands etc'. Ron Sullivan's approach is different, he uses a CLA (constraints led approach) drill to retrain the swing. Here is one of his better videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles