Is all bat lag bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Understanding the mechanical side of bat drag is the easy part, understanding how to fix it is the difficult part. The bottom two videos are very much old school approaches; 'do this with your arm/elbow/hands etc'. Ron Sullivan's approach is different, he uses a CLA (constraints led approach) drill to retrain the swing. Here is one of his better videos.

Points well explained. I would use the bottom two videos as a reference to analyze a side video of the student's swing.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
So how do you teach bat lag. Storing up of batspeed and releasing or whipping the barrel into the ball and reaching top speed at point of contact. Drills, cues, ideas??
Conversation with student making small adjustments to get them to a good launch position.

Try this - what did you feel?

Which felt the most comfortable?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Conversation with student making small adjustments to get them to a good launch position.

Which felt the most comfortable?
Photo of good launch position??
Key points to a good launch position?

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Photo of good launch position??
Key points to a good launch position?
Here are four different ones in a single video.

Key points may be what's common to all four along with what is comfortable for the individual hitter.

Side note - my grandson is playing 14U with two young coaches who recently played in the minor leagues. Their upper body approach seems to favor Acuna Jr and the lower body movement is quite different from the good old days. Don't know the reasoning for their approach so can't explain it.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I mean if you get on top you can’t drag it. Working w not against. Educate the hands. The hands will naturally work first to plane and the rest will fall into place.. you’re essentially half-loading the hands/wrists which stops early opening, nulls leveraging the arms or torso and uphill postures..

Since the hands and wrists are the weakest muscles and are burdened w barrel weight they need leverage or stabilization. Stabilization or control helps not use other things to find speed. Especially for kids. At the end of the day do you want to fight against gravity? Or use gravity?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In the best swings with the best quickness you will see early lead hand flexion and the start of ulnar articulations. These slight adjustments allows proper pull action on the handle which can be released quickly as opposed to an extended front wrist which will take longer to load and release the barrel. Which would influence an early top hand dominant swing which equates to a push w the top hand mainly. Front arm only high tee swings can help educate the lead arm.

This lead hand/wrist actions have been termed ‘turn the barrel’. Which is the visual result. It’s just early planing and loading of the barrel. So you can pull the handle and be efficient w the east/west aspects of the timing of the barrel. So if you’re not pulling the barrel you’re either pushing, dragging or dumping it to create speed.

The David Wright one hand drill and the Vladdy Jr. chop drill will help wrist/lag conditions in your swing. I’m sure there are others. The reverse top hand drill I think is eyewash. Jmo.

If you haven’t figured out yet staying inside the ball destroys lead hand education and will not help achieve the best results in regards to overall quickness, power and adjustability.

subtle

1689423598224.gif
1689423791244.gif

Pronounced

1689423874481.gif

Edit: if you haven’t figured it out getting on top and loading the barrel are synonymous

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
In the best swings with the best quickness you will see early lead hand flexion and the start of ulnar articulations. These slight adjustments allows proper pull action on the handle which can be released quickly as opposed to an extended front wrist which will take longer to load and release the barrel. Which would influence an early top hand dominant swing which equates to a push w the top hand mainly. Front arm only high tee swings can help educate the lead arm.

This lead hand/wrist actions have been termed ‘turn the barrel’. Which is the visual result. It’s just early planing and loading of the barrel. So you can pull the handle and be efficient w the east/west aspects of the timing of the barrel. So if you’re not pulling the barrel you’re either pushing, dragging or dumping it to create speed.

The David Wright one hand drill and the Vladdy Jr. chop drill will help wrist/lag conditions in your swing. I’m sure there are others. The reverse top hand drill I think is eyewash. Jmo.

If you haven’t figured out yet staying inside the ball destroys lead hand education and will not help achieve the best results in regards to overall quickness, power and adjustability.

subtle

View attachment 28385
View attachment 28386

Pronounced

View attachment 28387

Edit: if you haven’t figured it out getting on top and loading the barrel are synonymous
Could you post these drills?

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Just a general question to all. Not looking for a response. What do you see compared to what you have learned or are teaching?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Just a general question to all. Not looking for a response. What do you see compared to what you have learned or are teaching?

I am not showing that to my kids.."Dad, how come he gets to take BP in Dodger Stadium and I gotta take in the backyard where you need to cut the grass..."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles