Try Out Prep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
Here tryouts start in July. I have a 13yo who really wants to get on a more competitive team.

She takes batting and pitching lessons and is fairly fast (12.0 seconds home to home at camp this week). What can we work on at home to help her make a good impression. (She wants to move from C to B).

She was playing rec last summer- so this is still all fairly new to us.

Aug 18, 2018
Be there early and prepared, have your water in something you can drink quickly and run.
Listen, eye contact, no chatter with other girls at times you would be in line for drills.
Light run on and off field, no walking. Water breaks are quick, don't be last out of dugout.
Be coachable and open to feedback and ask questions if needed.

Skills are one aspect of playing, but focus, coachability and hustle are some son tangibles that can't be coached/taught that can be difference makers.

Good luck.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Don't be first in line for any drill. Make sure she watches others and listens to coach's feedback before her turn. Nothing worse than being first and being asked to do something and having to show you have no idea what they want. Let the older, more seasoned girls be first in line for drills.

But that said, don't be last out of the dugout, last into the dugout, etc. Show hustle.

You as a parent can take her to the fields and work on the common try out situations:

Grounders at short, throw to first. Grounders at second, throw to first.
Fly balls to center, throw to second. Fly balls to center, throw to home. Keep throw low. We'd rather have a low two bouncer than a rainbow.
Front toss.
Running to and through first based
Running to second with a banana turn.

Feb 24, 2022
Hustle on/off the field and from station to station. One thing I always had my daughter do at any try out is to go up to the coach afterwards and say, "Thank you for the opportunity."

Go to multiple sessions if you are able to. This will reinforce her interest in the team, and give the coaches an opportunity to see more of her.

Jan 20, 2023
Personally, I would reach out the coach and let them know you're coming... what you are interested in, some history, and where you think her skills are.

Historically, it is hard to get anyone's attention by just showing up. Show interest first.
She started pitching this year. Should I tell the coach that- or just let her pitching speak for itself? (She went from 43 mph fastball in Aug last year when a pitcher on her team got hurt and they needed a back up pitcher to hitting 52 on Rapsodo at camp this week). How much does one disclose? She’s not expecting to be a primary pitcher.

May 13, 2023
She started pitching this year. Should I tell the coach that- or just let her pitching speak for itself? (She went from 43 mph fastball in Aug last year when a pitcher on her team got hurt and they needed a back up pitcher to hitting 52 on Rapsodo at camp this week). How much does one disclose? She’s not expecting to be a primary pitcher.
Yes it's fine to tell the coach she started pitching this year.
Hopefully the coach will be a person who communicates interactively.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Line drives and dives. This will get their attention.

• Cheer on the other girls and be noticeable. Be loud.
  • When DD is in the field shagging balls during BP, have her set up around SS if possible so she gets the most chances at fielding balls. More chances to dive. Don't camp out in the outfield. If she is OF make diving catches!
  • Wear something bright
  • Hustle...everywhere!
  • High Energy
  • Go to multiple team's tryouts.
  • Parents stay away from the dugout!!!!
  • Kids carry their own gear
July seems kind of early for tryouts. In my area, there is an unwritten rule that program tryouts are to be held after last National tournament.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Aug 18, 2018
Also, bring a few safety pins with you. Nothing worse than number sticker that never stays on.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2023
You as a parent can take her to the fields and work on the common try out situations:

Grounders at short, throw to first. Grounders at second, throw to first.
Fly balls to center, throw to second. Fly balls to center, throw to home. Keep throw low. We'd rather have a low two bouncer than a rainbow.
Front toss.
Running to and through first based
Running to second with a banana turn.
Thank You!

Any other great drills, given just two of us working? I can’t really catch but I’ve gotten okay at hitting fly balls and grounders since she keeps hounding me to help her practice.

We both have the month off and she wants to work hard. What are the best things I as a clueless parent can help her work on? We’ve been doing the above minus the throw to home from CF- so will try that and keep doing the others.

I’ve been hitting for her to catch and setting up a ball on a tee - so she has to catch and then throw to first trying to knock the ball off the tee. We also have a net and a 9 box if that would be better.

The weather has been really rough this year with a ton of cancellations- but it’s usually good in the mornings so she can get in extra practice.

Thank You!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles