Is all bat lag bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Where’s the elbow policeman 👮‍♂️. Ultimately the elbow position is meaningless because it’s the hands creating the pivot point. The elbow just assists to achieve the hands position. I actually find many fastpitch hitters do this, they have narrow shoulders. Need to establish the hands.

That’s why Carew’s and Teddy and

giphy.gif
All swing very similar.

Arms trying to swing the bat.

giphy.gif

Low hands, quick and direct. Hands create the pivot point.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
You can hit all different ways. Some good hitters are just athletic even though they dont have perfect mechanics. I do believe elbows working together is a much more powerful swing verses swings above in video...
SL

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You can hit all different ways. Some good hitters are just athletic even though they dont have perfect mechanics. I do believe elbows working together is a much more powerful swing verses swings above in video...
SL

I think they’re all doing the same thing, really only the hand positioning is different. The hands are farther back and low. The back forearm still gets level. Same as high hands.

I would also say she can’t get the same TTB early because of her hands are farther back, the softball hitter.

Check out Griffey’s hand position,

IMG_5494.jpeg

Griffey just walks right into the swing.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
I see the Castillo / Griffey and college players lag as acceptable because of the barrel arc, which I think you touched on with your TTB reference.

The “bad lag” images seem to use much more of a dragging motion. While the elbows of Carew do get a little ahead of the hands, the barrel is still getting turned.

The active hands (or “oily wrists”, to borrow an older term), are still somewhat present with the pro swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Good lag is created by top wrist extension which is created by swing direction and released by torso rotation and ulnar deviation. These vary by timing but also by pitch location. These wrist articulations are what is never spoke of when swing ‘plane’ is mentioned.. Makes me wonder if any of these swing gurus actually have a clue.

Extension/ulnar deviation is TTB In the video sense. Not the HLP method. I don’t think they believe in releasing the barrel conventionally. More so staying inside the ball and turning the body until lined up. In essence delaying the barrel and making the swing longer but deeper. Feel free to educate me if I misspoke.

Generally you will see top wrist extension as the front foot gets down(sometimes earlier) and ulnar deviation(barrel flattening) upon barrel release or swing committal.

So in essence the top hand controls north and south while the bottom hand controls east and west. Lag isn’t a goal but a reaction to pitch location and timing.

1689130581765.gif

1689130604048.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles