Try Out Prep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2022
Natrona Heights PA
I wouldn’t even wait for tryouts and reach out to the coach now. Locally, public tryout season begins early to mid July, but Memorial Day seems to be when arrangements start being made for private tryouts, open practices, or guest play for coaches to evaluate players. It also doesn’t seem to be an uncommon practice for girls to do tryouts for other teams as “practice” for the tryout of the team they’re primarily targeting.

This is my 12u daughters first time at travel. Someone in a organization gave me this advise. I messaged the coaches and asked if she could attend a practice. She went, had a blast and got an offer 2 days later for the upcoming season. They aren’t an A team but a decent B team. Their coaches do both Rec and travel. I’ve played their teams in Rec league and are always coached well, disciplined and their parents are never an issue. We canceled her other tryouts and took it. She just meshed with the coaches and girls really really well. One thing I learned is there is more to these teams than just who’s the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2023
Thanks everyone for the advice!

My daughter got offered spots on her top two choices and is very excited for next season.

I can’t get over what a difference a year made- she was not offered spots on the same two teams last year. And I’m getting people reaching out on social media to see if she’s still available for next year.

My shin bruises over the past year and backyard converted to pitching lane were totally worth it 🤣

Apr 28, 2014
Some great advice here! We had one girl at 14's who wasn't an "A" level player but had the drive. At the end of the tryout she asked the coaches if they would look at her workout plan. She had a sheet of paper with days broken out and what she was working on each day (how many grounders, how many swings). That demonstrated to the coaches that she had a plan and was working on her own time. That kid got an offer on that 14u team and is now playing D1 in the CAA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles