Try Out Prep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2019
I wouldn’t even wait for tryouts and reach out to the coach now. Locally, public tryout season begins early to mid July, but Memorial Day seems to be when arrangements start being made for private tryouts, open practices, or guest play for coaches to evaluate players. It also doesn’t seem to be an uncommon practice for girls to do tryouts for other teams as “practice” for the tryout of the team they’re primarily targeting.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Be there early and prepared, have your water in something you can drink quickly and run.
Listen, eye contact, no chatter with other girls at times you would be in line for drills.
Light run on and off field, no walking. Water breaks are quick, don't be last out of dugout.
Be coachable and open to feedback and ask questions if needed.

Skills are one aspect of playing, but focus, coachability and hustle are some son tangibles that can't be coached/taught that can be difference makers.

Good luck.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk
Great post! I’ll add look coaches in the eyes when talking or being talked to…yes sir, no sir, do not be shy! Smile, look like there’s no other place she’d rather be!

Oct 4, 2018
Yes, I set up the pitcher's screen (that's usually hanging around on most fields) in front of first base. I hit grounders to her at SS, she throw and tries to hit the net waist high. Just angle the screen so it's facing her and gives her a nice target. A ball on a tee might be a little too small.

Honestly, keep at those drills. Yes, they might be boring, but even the best players still take grounders regularly.

If you have more girls, you can do other drills you might see in tryouts, such as throwing around the bases and such.

Nov 18, 2015
52 at 13yo? You may be selling yourself short if you think she can’t be a pitcher on a B-level team.

Sounds like she has a great work ethic - if she REALLY wants to play at a high level, find an A-level team. Many teams accept anyone as a fan on Game Changer - you may be able to watch videos of past games and compare that to your daughters skill level.

At 14U - the difference b/w B and C teams is huge. The line b/w rec and C level can be blurry. But the difference b/w C and B is pretty obvious. If she can routinely make strong, accurate throws across the IF, and has a decent softball IQ (knows where to throw the ball and run the bases), just about every B team will be interested.

Best of luck with tryouts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2023
I’ll take any advice. She tried out as a 3rd baseman last summer moving up from rec and tryouts were rough- only got one offer.

Got on a team that clearly needed pitching and she had taken a few lessons and thrown a few innings in rec (I think 7 innings). So she got to work. She was throwing 43 in August and just hit 51.9. I have no idea what to do with her or what to expect at tryouts as a pitcher. She can still be a little wild- but pitched two winning games last weekend. Any info on what they will ask her to do as a pitcher at tryouts?

She’s a lot better fielder and hitter too than last year. She’s been practicing a lot and did some camps.

Her pitching coach thinks a B team would be a good place for her right now- I’m just nervous after last year- but she’s a totally different player.

I contacted a few coaches (based on advice here) and she has some tryouts already scheduled.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There is a lot of good information here. For our HS tryouts, I appreciate it when players have on something that has their name on it. We keep charts and I hate continually asking a player what their name is.

Jun 8, 2016
Funny tryout story (ok not funny at the time..actually probably not even funny now..bad choice of words..). My dad was running LL tryouts and was hitting the OF fly balls. This kid's

brother, who was also a hemophiliac, took one right off the head. The kid was a good ball player too..not sure what happened. My father knew
that was he was a hemophiliac and was horrified but luckily the kid was alright.

Apr 14, 2022
I’ll take any advice. She tried out as a 3rd baseman last summer moving up from rec and tryouts were rough- only got one offer.

Got on a team that clearly needed pitching and she had taken a few lessons and thrown a few innings in rec (I think 7 innings). So she got to work. She was throwing 43 in August and just hit 51.9. I have no idea what to do with her or what to expect at tryouts as a pitcher. She can still be a little wild- but pitched two winning games last weekend. Any info on what they will ask her to do as a pitcher at tryouts?

She’s a lot better fielder and hitter too than last year. She’s been practicing a lot and did some camps.

Her pitching coach thinks a B team would be a good place for her right now- I’m just nervous after last year- but she’s a totally different player.

I contacted a few coaches (based on advice here) and she has some tryouts already scheduled.
In my area teams are advertising for subs all the time, especially pitchers. I would try to sub.
I doubt many good teams take pitchers they have never seen and possibly played against. Subbing would get exposure.
Remember tryouts are a poor way to evaluate talent and every coach is different.
DD would be accepted with open arms from 90% of the teams she has faced. In an open tryout my guess is 30-50%.

May 13, 2023

Good for her working on things and developing!
Be the positive player that supports her teammates/other players and willing to help with equipment!
Play strong and show them what you've got!

Jun 8, 2016
In my area teams are advertising for subs all the time, especially pitchers. I would try to sub.
I doubt many good teams take pitchers they have never seen and possibly played against. Subbing would get exposure.
Remember tryouts are a poor way to evaluate talent and every coach is different.
DD would be accepted with open arms from 90% of the teams she has faced. In an open tryout my guess is 30-50%.
Yes, I would never have my kid play for a team that I at least haven’t seen play a bunch. Preferably you would guest play as you stated. Of course my kid is at an age now that if you are any good there really isn’t any “trying out” going on..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles