I need a favor...is Kaylee Carlson legal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It would appear that their visual acuity is such that they are unable to recognize a blatant IP even when it occurs upwards of 100 times in a game. Too many umpires hide behind this nonsense. A select few will tell you they enjoy umpiring and/or need the money and if they actually called it as they should they would never get another assignment. I appreciate their honesty.

Feb 7, 2013
Please see my previous post (#7) in this thread.....

Thanks. I understand the PU not being able to see an IP, but what about the base umpires, especially when no runners on base? It seems to be an unwritten rule not to call IPs within the umpiring community?

Mar 26, 2013
Thanks. I understand the PU not being able to see an IP, but what about the base umpires, especially when no runners on base? ...
See JAD's post (#18). I've heard PU responsible for hands, time limit and pitching lane; BU for other foot-related IPs (e.g. pitcher's plate, crow hop, leaping). BU is in poor position to call pitching lane violations - especially when there isn't a usable line marking it.

Note: You get brownie points for saying "base umpires" rather than field umpires.

Feb 7, 2013
See JAD's post (#18). I've heard PU responsible for hands, time limit and pitching lane; BU for other foot-related IPs (e.g. pitcher's plate, crow hop, leaping). BU is in poor position to call pitching lane violations - especially when there isn't a usable line marking it.

Note: You get brownie points for saying "base umpires" rather than field umpires.

Thanks. I guess my real question is with so many pitchers leaping and replanting at all levels of the game, how come the BU don't look for it during the game? Have they been instructed not to call it? I have only been around the game for about 9 years but other than I believe 2009 or so did I see any real enforcement of the rules from rec all-stars through college. Is it only enforced if the opposing coaches make a big deal about it? Just trying to understand the lack of enforcement that allows pitchers like Barnhill, Silkwood, Cat, etc. to pitch at an elite level without being penalized for illegal mechanics.

Mar 26, 2013
Thanks. I guess my real question is with so many pitchers leaping and replanting at all levels of the game, how come the BU don't look for it during the game? Have they been instructed not to call it? I have only been around the game for about 9 years but other than I believe 2009 or so did I see any real enforcement of the rules from rec all-stars through college. Is it only enforced if the opposing coaches make a big deal about it? Just trying to understand the lack of enforcement that allows pitchers like Barnhill, Silkwood, Cat, etc. to pitch at an elite level without being penalized for illegal mechanics.
NCAA umpires don't want to piss off a coach that can essentially black-ball them so they aren't assigned to their games. More IPs are called in postseason tournament because umpires are working outside their conference.

Showcase orgs routinely tell umps not to rigidly enforce IPs at their events.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Did anyone watch the Georgia Auburn game today??? Are you freaking kidding me??? I am watching the replay as I type and this girl isn't anywhere close to staying within the lines. Absolutely unreal!!!! I don't know many batters who are used to the ball coming in from the right hand side of the field (from the batters perspective)

Okay, chances are this post will be buried in this thread but there has to be something that a "fan of the game" can do to bring attention to all this crap. Surely there is an email or website or something that "us" as fans can send in pictures, videos, etc and rattle the cages of the NCAA. I am getting so sick of all this illegal stuff as it it truly and I quote Rick Pauly on this "making a mockery of the game." The PEOPLE need to stand up, unite, and put some pressure on the umpires who ARE NOT doing their damn jobs!!!!!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
kaylee_carlson_v_georgia2_zps9fc6ohq2.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles