Is this legal (Quck Pitch / rules question)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Based on what rule? Why is waiting with the hands together illegal if the start of the pitch is not until the hands separate?

Rule 6-1(E): The pitcher shall hold the ball in both hands for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing it, and both feet must remain in contact with the pitching plate at all times prior to the forward step. Page 66-

According to this rule from the 2011 ASA rule book- once she brings her hands together- her time is limited to begin the pitch- Whether this is actually enforced or not- I can't say. I am just saying that according to THIS rule, her waiting with both hands together for > 10 seconds is not legal.

Jun 18, 2010
Rule 6-1(E): The pitcher shall hold the ball in both hands for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing it, and both feet must remain in contact with the pitching plate at all times prior to the forward step. Page 66-

According to this rule from the 2011 ASA rule book- once she brings her hands together- her time is limited to begin the pitch- Whether this is actually enforced or not- I can't say. I am just saying that according to THIS rule, her waiting with both hands together for > 10 seconds is not legal.

Based on my interpretation if the batter only has 10 seconds to take a position in the batter's box once the ball has been returned to the pitching circle, the batter should be in violation of delaying the game before the pitcher is in violation of holding the ball longer than 10 seconds.... JMO

Sec 8. A batter shall not delay the game by failing to promptly take his position in
the batter’s box within 10 seconds of the pitcher having the ball in the
pitching circle, or by stepping out of the box when the pitcher is on the
pitcher’s plate.
PENALTY: If a pitcher is committed to delivering the pitch, the batter leaves
the box at the risk of having a strike called while being out of position. For
failure of the batter to be ready within 10 seconds after the ball has been
returned to the pitcher, the Umpire shall call a strike. If it is the third strike,
the Umpire shall call time and declare the batter out.

May 16, 2010
We need a blue or two to chime in here.

I already did. I umpired baseball and softball for 28 years. I've been to pro school and many camps both ASA and baseball. No knowledgeable ump is going to let a pitcher pitch, until the batter is looking at the pitcher. And, that is how the rules are interpreted.
End of story.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I already did. I umpired baseball and softball for 28 years. I've been to pro school and many camps both ASA and baseball. No knowledgeable ump is going to let a pitcher pitch, until the batter is looking at the pitcher. And, that is how the rules are interpreted.
End of story.

I agree with you on that- but that is not the question here because the pitcher waited for the signal from the PU. Rather, it was how the pitcher started. She stepped into her position, feet on the plate, took her signal, brought her hands together - then waited. When the PU gave the signal- she went right into her pitch from that point.

Is that legal?

Oct 22, 2009
My DD was a quick pitcher. She got her signals and pitched. She always made sure the PU was ready, and the instant he was ready and the signal was given she was off.
I cannot tell you how many quick pitch complaints she got from opposing coaches in HS and college whenever she caught the batter not ready. But not once did the PU ever call her for a quick pitch.

Jun 18, 2010
My DD was a quick pitcher. She got her signals and pitched. She always made sure the PU was ready, and the instant he was ready and the signal was given she was off.
I cannot tell you how many quick pitch complaints she got from opposing coaches in HS and college whenever she caught the batter not ready. But not once did the PU ever call her for a quick pitch.

Thanks Jojo. After reviewing the rules and the feedback provided, I do not think DD was doing anything illegal.

Oct 22, 2009
Thanks Jojo. After reviewing the rules and the feedback provided, I do not think DD was doing anything illegal.

I suggest if she can pitch this way and is comfortable doing it let her do it. It really gave my DD an advantage. Some pitchers cannot do this, they need time to settle in and focus and keep their head in the game, my DD had no problem with her head, she was all about messing with the heads of the opposing hitters.

Oct 31, 2010
We experienced "quick pitch" last night. The other teams pitcher would step on the rubber with her hands separated, the moment our girls stepped into the box she swung both arms forward just so the ball & glove barely touched and immediately down into her back swing. There was no 1 sec presentation, coach asked the ump about presentation and was just shook off. It didn't effect our girls that have been playing for years as they know how to be ready when they step in, but some of our less experienced girls had just turned their head to look at the pitcher as she was already at the top of her windmill.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
It does not matter if the batter is looking at the pitcher or not. If she steps into the batters box and is holding the bat with both hands, she CAN be PRESUMED ready,

Try this: hold on to the bat with only one hand and the bat on your shoulder, other hand at your side. When you are ready, bring up the other hand and grab the bat. At that moment say 'OK, I'm ready''. Give the blue a VERY noticeable indication you are NOT ready, one that EVERYONE in the park can see and they will take action to stop quick pitches.

Additional" if the pitcher still tries to quick pitch and starts her motion before you grab the bat with the 2nd hand, drop that hand back down BEFORE it touches the bat and say (loudly) "I'M NOT READY!"

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles