how should changeup cross the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2016
I’m guessing our philosophical differences come with the ages of our kids. At younger ages fundamentals are still hard. By the time they’re in college fundamentals aren’t enough.

I’ll buy that, though my DD is 18, so the age difference isn’t really the root. She has mastered the fundamentals: blocks like a champ, frames even better, knows the game inside and out, etc. But we still have to work on the fundamentals often because when you don’t is when you lose mastery of them. Stuff like blocking drills twice a week, framing drills twice a week, situational quizzes once a week. Maybe look at it this way - basics are the things that you still have mastery of after you’ve thrown your glove in the closet for 6 months and sat around on the couch eating Cheetos. Fundamentals are the things you have to keep working on to maintain mastery. I completely agree that fundamentals aren’t enough by the time you get to college, but that still doesn’t make them easy. Think of how many kids quit softball before they were 12 because they couldn’t master the fundamentals, but they’ll know and have mastery of the basics for the rest of their lives. See what I’m getting at?

Sorry, bmakj, didn’t mean to hijack the thread. Just don’t think your DD should get blamed for a WP like so many catchers do when pitchers bounce it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2016
Thought the first pitch was a CU but not sure and didnt want to distract from the main point of the original discussion of CU coming in low or hitting in the dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi