The cutter in softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I know many people argue the ball doesn't have late movement, but the pitch now called a cutter sure seems to move late. Maybe it's my old eyes...

We don't have to argue about it. it is a fact. There is no such thing as a late break. We have seen the high-speed video and pitch f/x data.

Now does it appears to have a late break to the batter? Absolutely and if that's all that matters I wouldn't argue.

Now, what does it mean that you can't throw a proper curve (but a late-breaking curve, or a curve that doesn't break as much) that is the real question. The answer is matching speed with spin (in my opinion). As others pointed out some are better than others with certain pitches and I wouldn't chase it.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We don't have to argue about it. it is a fact. There is no such thing as a late break. We have seen the high-speed video and pitch f/x data.

Now does it appears to have a late break to the batter? Absolutely and if that's all that matters I wouldn't argue.

Now, what does it mean that you can't throw a proper curve (but a late-breaking curve, or a curve that doesn't break as much) that is the real question. The answer is matching speed with spin (in my opinion). As others pointed out some are better than others with certain pitches and I wouldn't chase it.
It matters to me as the person catching the pitches. Whether it's late or consistent is irrelevant. It still scares the turd out of me.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
At this point DD is making pitches up on the fly. Here is last weekend's "rise ball'. I think it's thrown with a baseball curve grip. Hard to decipher the mechanics involved. @LEsoftballdad If you would like to know the specifics on how to throw this "pitch" let me know. :LOL:

It almost looked like she threw that with a drop motion.

May 21, 2018
It almost looked like she threw that with a drop motion.
Yes I think that's what is going on. Drop arm motion, baseball grip and some sort of 'adjustment' to her release is what she said. No idea how she came up with this in the middle of a game. Anyway, my overall feeling is, throwing a cutter instead of curve sounds completely doable and totally normal. Possibly even preferable............................But don't sleep on the 'drop rise'! May be the next big thing.

Sep 1, 2021
At this point DD is making pitches up on the fly. Here is last weekend's "rise ball'. I think it's thrown with a baseball curve grip. Hard to decipher the mechanics involved. @LEsoftballdad If you would like to know the specifics on how to throw this "pitch" let me know. :LOL:

The pre-motion of that pitch has a Monica Abbot feel to it.

May 27, 2013
Tonight was a night we worked on the drop. Even wearing full gear, I'm not even remotely fond of that pitch.

DD’s PC would use a cord stretched across the pitching lane in front of the plate for her to try and throw the ball over or lightly graze it with the bottom of the ball with her drop. Sometimes she would catch the cord just right and the ball would somewhat skip slightly - but just enough to change its trajectory and catch me off guard where I couldn’t move my glove quick enough Again, thank goodness for the shin guards!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
DD’s PC would use a cord stretched across the pitching lane in front of the plate for her to try and throw the ball over or lightly graze it with the bottom of the ball with her drop. Sometimes she would catch the cord just right and the ball would somewhat skip slightly - but just enough to change its trajectory and catch me off guard where I couldn’t move my glove quick enough Again, thank goodness for the shin guards!
It's a brand new pitch for her, so it's a work in progress. Tonight was one of her three throwing sessions for the week, and she wanted to work on the drop. There were a few that no one would confuse with a drop, but she got at least 50% of them to drop significantly. Her fastball is what her PC calls a heavy ball with a lot of downward movement, so it's not unusual for me to track a ball lower in the zone, but these few were probably 50% more drop than her fastball.

One was a pitch that doesn't get called as a strike, but most hitters would have a tough time laying off it. The ball got just under my mitt, scooted between my feet, and only bounced passed the point it could come up and hurt me. If she can throw it like that all the time, it will be a devastating pitch for her. The catcher just has to be prepared to block it, though.

Jul 31, 2019
Use a Chinese jump rope for the cord
Use a Chinese jump rope as the cord. Still freaks you out but does not deflect

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812