when people say the word FASTBALL, what is it REALLY?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Do you see the relevance in communicating actual pitch movement?
I changed my response..I don't understand how a coach and a player would not be on the same page e.g. coach meets player, coach says what do you throw, player says drop,rise,curve, CU. Coach nods, writes in pad and then spits tobacco juice (ok last part doesn't happen in FP)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I changed my response..I don't understand how a coach and a player would not be on the same page e.g. coach meets player, coach says what do you throw, player says drop,rise,curve, CU. Coach nods, writes in pad and then spits tobacco juice (ok last part doesn't happen in FP)
Read/Reply to post #13

Jun 8, 2016
Read/Reply to post #13
drop,rise,curveball,screwball, 2-seam fastball,4 seam fastball all have a movement (or lack thereof) direction associated with them that
a catcher would (or should) know..right? and each is thrown differently so even if the drop is faster, unless the coach is an idiot, he shouldn't be calling it fastball....right? That isn't a description issue it is the "coach is an idiot" issue...

Feb 1, 2021
Hitters have a predictable game plan sometimes too. Unfortunately my DD has been predicable in the past, watching a pitch or two every at bat. Sometimes you take your chances and just plop in an easy strike even if its fast and straight. Obvioulsy, the risk v reward of doing this changes as you go up in skill or age, but..??

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
IMHO a true fastball (straight, fast pitch with little to no movement) is usually only a useful pitch when the pitcher clearly out matches the opposition. In those instances the pitcher can just blow the ball right past the hitter because they just can’t catch up.
This gets rarer and rarer as they move up in age and skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD doesn't really have a fastball, per se. She has two different drops.

One I would refer to as a straight drop. This is what her coach calls a fastball even though it has downward bite.

The other is a drop curve. She likes using this against lefthanders and slappers because it will look like a ball outside, but cut back and catch the outside corner.

Jun 8, 2016
DD doesn't really have a fastball, per se. She has two different drops.

One I would refer to as a straight drop. This is what her coach calls a fastball even though it has downward bite.

The other is a drop curve. She likes using this against lefthanders and slappers because it will look like a ball outside, but cut back and catch the outside corner.
Why doesn't he call it a drop and a drop-curve..other than to validate Rad's point? :LOL:

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
If a batter asked the previous batter,
What did he throw you?
And the answer was
All fastballs,
Is not the same as
He threw
1. Fastball
2. Cutters
3. Sinkers
These words provide description of alternate moving/breaking pitches.

This is why I know that batters are generally stupid. If they don't know the difference in a cutter and a sinker, etc. Below MLB level, they dont usually pay attention to what the pitcher throws, and what he's thrown in the game, or in different situations.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
College coaches... What do you expect? ;)

Another example (swing down thread, I'm talking about you) of people that can do, but can't teach. Many college coaches have less experience coaching than the average 14U coach. The assistants generally have no coaching experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00