when people say the word FASTBALL, what is it REALLY?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
So your saying
His fastballs actually were
1. Straight faster pitch
2. Sinker
3. Cutter

Thats the point of this post
About the word 'fastball'
is not always describing the actual trajectory of the pitch, not what its doing.

Cuzzzzz just like in that post
Says he has 3 fastballs.....
And then....
Had to describe what they really do/are.

If a batter asked the previous batter,
What did he throw you?
And the answer was
All fastballs,
Is not the same as
He threw
1. Fastball
2. Cutters
3. Sinkers
These words provide description of alternate moving/breaking pitches.
Sinkers and cutters are fastballs as well as a 4 seamer. They are pitched the same way. The spin is the same. Where the ball needs to be spotted determines how the pitch is thrown. Both of them have a late break

Only in fastpitch do you have 50 pitches the coaches call and pitchers think they can pitch. In

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sinkers and cutters are fastballs as well as a 4 seamer. They are pitched the same way. The spin is the same. Where the ball needs to be spotted determines how the pitch is thrown. Both of them have a late break

Only in fastpitch do you have 50 pitches the coaches call and pitchers think they can pitch. In
? They are pitched same way?
Same mechanics???
? Spin the same? Hmmm???
? Where they are spotted determines how pitch should be thrown? Different mechanics???
What???

And they have different trajectory than eachother.
And
Each have there own pitch #
( sign from the catcher)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Many college coaches have less experience coaching than the average 14U coach. The assistants generally have no coaching experience.
This is 100% TRUTH!! I've got to recently witness this firsthand!! I do not like or condone my DD talking bad or down about a coach's ability, but I've got to personally watch this coach 4 or 5 different times lose tight games in the late innings because of sheer ignorance and wrong calls!

My DD said this D2 coach ranked somewhere around fifth or sixth down the list of coaches she's had, and she's right! Definitely not what you expect going in! Sometimes I feel like a complete idiot and just didn't do enough homework on this program! Live and learn.....

May 23, 2015
Wayy too many questions to answer. Sorry.. If you plan on fooling elite hitters you better have the same spin on your pitches and they better be delivered at different speeds
? They are pitched same way?
Same mechanics???
? Spin the same? Hmmm???
? Where they are spotted determines how pitch should be thrown? Different mechanics???
What???

And they have different trajectory than eachother.
And
Each have there own pitch #
( sign from the catcher)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Wayy too many questions to answer. Sorry.. If you plan on fooling elite hitters you better have the same spin on your pitches and they better be delivered at different speeds
Thats from what you wrote,
was asking you to explain if mechanics changed.

Thats interesting again about that comment throwing pitches with the same spin.
Guess no explanation tho...

Interesting topic/concept.

Definetly see different spins in fastpitch.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
That's a huge flaw. Your brain will assess spin in an instant and not speed. Speed plays tricks on the mind
Agree spin can cause tricks.
Especially on change ups.

👉Are you going to explain your previous comment of throwing pitches with the same spin???

Not to be snarky here...

Rather to discuss your point to throw pitches with different movement and use the same spin?

And what spin would you suggest to use?
Are you saying mechanics would change?

Right toooo many questions ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414