The cutter in softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
When I teach the "cutter", its a grip change and pressure point pitch, More pressure on the middle finger, and less on the thumb. Pitcher leads with her pinky and starts the release at the back hip. Middle and pointer finger cut through the inside of the ball, and taking thumb pressure off allows the ball to spin off the outside of the pointer finger, creating a 1-7 or 2-8 spin. Ball looks like a fastball at release then cuts down and in to a RHH (RH pitcher)

May 16, 2019
DD’s PC would use a cord stretched across the pitching lane in front of the plate for her to try and throw the ball over or lightly graze it with the bottom of the ball with her drop. Sometimes she would catch the cord just right and the ball would somewhat skip slightly - but just enough to change its trajectory and catch me off guard where I couldn’t move my glove quick enough Again, thank goodness for the shin guards!

we do the same

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
When I teach the "cutter", its a grip change and pressure point pitch, More pressure on the middle finger, and less on the thumb. Pitcher leads with her pinky and starts the release at the back hip. Middle and pointer finger cut through the inside of the ball, and taking thumb pressure off allows the ball to spin off the outside of the pointer finger, creating a 1-7 or 2-8 spin. Ball looks like a fastball at release then cuts down and in to a RHH (RH pitcher)
Like this?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If you want to get into the weeds on pitch movement sit through this video. He talks fast and it's easy to miss some of the details. Since it's a baseball video and the overhand release is 180 degrees different from softball you have to translate everything, and that's not easy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802