how quickly some quit and move on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Know a girl and parents exactly like that. Blamed everyone else for her problems, constantly cut down other players, screaming at HC etc. D1 talent with Rec ball head. Couldn’t cut D1 and transferred after a year.

Jun 8, 2016
Know a girl and parents exactly like that. Blamed everyone else for her problems, constantly cut down other players, screaming at HC etc. D1 talent with Rec ball head. Couldn’t cut D1 and transferred after a year.
Kid on DD's team like that but she is Rec Ball talent with Rec ball head...I'll give you one guess as to why she is still on the team..told the team this weekend they were making too many errors (she made 3 in one inning the week before..) and told a kid a month ago, who was missing practices because of school ball, that her stats were bad and that she needed to go to practice...

May 6, 2015
What @Eric F said above is 100% correct.

Players come, players go.

DD quit summer travel softball the summer before her senior year. It was the week before her team was supposed to go to Colorado. She was still not committed. She thought she no longer wanted to play college softball. It DID factor into our decision that she played for a large org with a large roster and while she was a starter that played most innings, she was easily replaced. We felt we were not hurting the team.

She was burned out, worn out and felt like she was missing out on life outside of softball. She found out that what she was missing wasn’t as good as what she thought it was. She missed the game. She played on a local team I coached in the fall and we pretty much won all of our games and she found out she missed playing better competition- even if that meant not winning every game.

She ended up being invited back to her “big org” travel ball team in the winter. There were some promises made that appealed to her as an unrecruited 2020... She left my team and hit the road. I stayed with the team I was coaching. I missed most of her summer after not having the chance to see her play high school in the spring (cancelled due to Covid.). Yet it worked out. She ended up at the school she wanted to go to the entire time, a school that was not available to her had she kept playing on my team. It worked out.

So... “loyalty”. The only obligation I felt in all this was to the team I was coaching. I didn’t leave that team. While we had a staff of me plus four assistants that could have EASILY picked up the slack, I had made a commitment and wasn’t going to bail out. On the other hand we did what was right for dd and we won’t apologize for that. I did not hear any complaints. I have friends who had players on the team. Some had been on high profile teams that travelled. They had the experience to understand why we did what we did.

Parents are going to do what they think is best for their kids.

Some times their motivation is not as pure as we would like. It’s not our job to worry about that and the longer you are around the game, the less you care.

“You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need”

Players come. Players go.
to me this is a totally different situation. sounds like your DD was burnt out with regards to softball, and needed time away from the game, and knew that they could fill in for her nicely. this family quit because DD sat just about as much as most others on the team (and pretty much everyone sits at least one inning per game on this team) mid season, and this departure does leave the team in a little bit of a lurch.

not mad or upset, it is only softball, just puzzled. why not wait one month.

Nov 18, 2013
Parents like this are extremely arrogant narcissistic. They quit to screw over the remaining players and think it sends a message to the organization that they should have kissed their rear.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
not mad or upset, it is only softball, just puzzled. why not wait one month.

Trying to figure out why people do the things they do will keep you perpetually puzzled. The parents that quit our team mid-game at PGF did it with just one more day to go (just one more game, it turned out) before the team was ending for good. Both had been with the team since it formed 2 years earlier. Not only was the timing ridiculous, but they went out ugly.

May 6, 2015
Trying to figure out why people do the things they do will keep you perpetually puzzled. The parents that quit our team mid-game at PGF did it with just one more day to go (just one more game, it turned out) before the team was ending for good. Both had been with the team since it formed 2 years earlier. Not only was the timing ridiculous, but they went out ugly.
they wanted to be remembered ;)

Feb 3, 2016
The consumer (parents) and the commodity is the kid.
People are paying for a service/team and some provide more value than others. Buyers remorse is real. Heck two kids dropped off of my DD team after the first tournament this Fall. One quit after the Friday night games and the other the following week.

Unless a coach is abusive either verbally or physically I can't see leaving a team mid-season, mid-game, or during a tournament especially at younger ages.

I've Had kids quit the team during a game once or twice. Other coach helping me was cray, cray and helped make all that happen.

Do what's best for your kid. < most people get that wrong.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez