Player safety when injured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
It was confirmed she needs surgery since her nose is so disjointed and screwed up. She has to wait a while for the swelling to go down, but the doctor said she can play next week with a mask. Apparently, they're moving her to CF until she's 100%.

Nov 9, 2021
My school won’t let us start an away game unless a trainer is on site and an AED is on site. Sometimes trainers are covering multiple sports but they are on the same campus. All coaches have CPR and first aid training as well.

I also have prior experience as Fireman/EMT so I can assist until more help arrives.

But in the original scenario, they absolutely should have just called 911 right away as a precaution. Waiting 15 minutes isn’t a good situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The first question is why does any parent allow their player to play third base without a mask? The second question is why do NFHS and/or state associations not make masks manditory for positions F1, F3, and F5?

Didn't read the whole thread yet, but others may have answered this by now, but it's a very simple answer: No masks have any kind of certification standards. NOCSAE doesn't stamp any of them.

So if your organization says "Wear this safety device" and parents go out and buy a mask and a kid still gets hurt while wearing one, now those parents sue because you told them their child would be protected by something that did not protect them, and you can't say "NOCSAE certified this as safe." Liability is all on you.

Related: There are a hundred different masks and without a safety standard, who's to say which ones are good? I think we all agree that anything is better than nothing...probably. What if one particular model has faulty design that results in a sharp piece breaking off on impact?

That said, there probably is a way to mandate them, but I'm not sure what it is.

I make pitchers wear a mask, but I never say it's for safety. I also make them wear a certain color pants as part of the uniform. I don't and won't give any recommendations on any particular mask.

On another note: In Illinois, a trainer does not have to be present, and I'd estimate one is present at maybe 10% of games we play, max. Our school doesn't even have one. An AED is supposed to be on-site/close enough to be retrieved ASAP. I bring it to every game (if softball/baseball both have games, we have it at one of the fields. They're close enough that it could be run over to the other field in under a minute if needed).

Jun 18, 2023
Didn't read the whole thread yet, but others may have answered this by now, but it's a very simple answer: No masks have any kind of certification standards. NOCSAE doesn't stamp any of them.

it was mentioned, but I think while true, when we say "they should be wearing masks" we're also implying "NOCSAE should certify masks", we should take safety seriously, etc.

Especially at the lower levels, where I think the safety standards are much less useful. Probably all but the absolute worst mask is protecting a 7, 8, 9 year old kid who wasn't paying attention, or the errand throw from someone warming up next to them, etc. All but the absolutely top few 10u kids aren't hitting it hard enough that any protection between face and ball wouldn't be enough.

I don't know about liability and lawyer speak and viable lawsuits and what not. The official line from our town is "masks are recommended", I left out the word 'recommended' on my list of stuff to my first grade team, but they don't all have them (yet). I don't think I've seen a 3rd/4th grader without one.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619