Switching Teams mid tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
Saw a weird situation unfold yesterday:

As best as I understood the events:

20 team unsanctioned event held by large well known org. 14u—-essentially field consists of all A level teams within a 100 mile radius.

Cash prize for first place

Organization A enters 2 teams. One is basically their 13u, other is 14u.

After one of Org A’s teams gets eliminated in second round, they take a girl from that team and move her to the org’s other team which is still alive where she proceeds to pitch the next game. She was still wearing the pants from the team which got eliminated but switched jerseys to the team that was still alive.

The opponent, which happens to be a team from the host organization, notices this and brings it to the attention of the umpires. After a phone call is made, a decision comes down that Org A’s remaining team must forfeit.

Umpires and players leave field and 5/10 minutes pass. Then the decision to forfeit is reversed (likely by the director) and game continues.

Org A wins the game but ultimately loses in the finals.

I was a little surprised by the decision as I would have thought a player would not be allowed to play for multiple teams during the same event. Especially with such a large field, giving a team the ability to rotate in fresh pitching would appear to provide a giant advantage.

I wasn’t privy to the official rules of the event so I can’t comment whether it was allowable or not. Just thought it was a weird situation that I would share.

Nov 29, 2009
Yup.... The side effect of a cash prize, greed and ego shows it's ugly head. Seeing as how it's not a sanctioned event anything goes.

Aug 18, 2018
That is insane. If you are rostered for one team for a tournament that's it, you can't play for another team in the same tournament.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
In an event that involves Cash Prizes, I would make sure the rosters are locked for that event. If money is not involved, I wouldn't care too much. Kind of like playing golf. If I am playing with someone and money is not involved, I don't really care what your score is and whether or not you take a mulligan. If we are playing for money, you bet I am paying attention to gimme putts, dropped balls, Out of bounds, foot wedges, etc.

Jun 20, 2015
knowing how spread out talent is here in Ohio and the number of teams that Claim A level..... and then playing for money and wonder why there's an accusation of cheating????? HHHHuuuumm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles