how quickly some quit and move on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
14u, core is group of girls (5 or 6) who did really well at 12u last year (which just ended it seems 4 weeks ago), a few from last years 14u team in same org (rest of that team moved to 16u), and a few new girls invited on, including DD. Team is doing very well so far (more than 10 wins to 2 losses, losses to 2 very good teams). most of the rest of the 12u girls are still 12u, or on second 14u team in org. Team chemistry seems to be good as well, it seems girls all get along well and support each other.

At beginning of season HC talked to girls, explained that this entire team 1-12 can hit, so we will do that as often as allowed, so dont get upset if you are towards bottome of the order (and this has held true, batted entire lineup every game).

DD (new, but played two seasons ago for 12u in this org, asked by HC to join the team) and girl X (part of core from 12 u team) both play Z as their primary position. DD is a little more polished defensively, better game sense, girl X is a little more overall athletic. splitting time at primary position about 60/40 in DDs favor, with girl X playing most innings not at primary in OF, DD playing 1-2 innings a weekend in OF. DD is completely fine with this, primary position is very demanding one, definitely need two capable players for this on any tournament team. Everyone on this teams sits an inning or two each game at least so far.

Apparently last night (due to a medical emergency in earlier game that day, everything got pushed back about 1 game, our last game started at 730), in the dugout, girl X informs several of the girls this is her last game, is joining org ABC, because she is not getting enough time at her preferred primary position. the team is just abot half way through it's fall schedule.

would anyone else leave in the middle of a season in a playing time situation like that?

DD is upset, she likes this girl, and also does not want to have to (really can't) play every inning (still rehabbing a shoulder issue). We tried to reassure her last night, thing will work out. Several of the other girls will step up and take a few innings, and Team will look for another player.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes. Players leave whenever.
Yes. Playing time is common reasoning.
Yes. At any age bracket.

Not certain how emotional dd took that.
The lesson is
Learn to not let emotion disrupt our game, change is part of life.
If their friends they can remain friends on seperate teams.
( this may seem callous however emotional issues on teams are really not about softball, rather softball helping teach about life)

Good Luck, chin up !

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
would anyone else leave in the middle of a season in a playing time situation like that?

Yes. People do it all the time.

Would I personally have allowed my DDs to change teams? No.

A parent's main job is to teach personal responsibility and how to make choices. Part of learning how to make choices is learning how to live with your choices.
'
So, a player should not leave a team mid-season unless there is either (a) mental or physical abuse by a coach or (b) the coach lied to the player about something important (PT, schedule, costs, etc.).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yes. All the time.

Would I personally have allowed my DDs to do that? No.
We had a pitcher on our team quit in the middle of the tournament this weekend (you know of her @sluggers.....) because she wasn't getting enough pitching time supposedly and the parents blamed her poor performance on being "rusty" even though she has been playing MS ball all Fall...

Jul 27, 2020
There may be other issues you are not aware of.

Tell your daughter to focus on her game. It’s ok to be bummed out, however this is a good learning opportunity as this will happen in sports, school, work and life. There is also nothing that says she can’t remain friends with the player that is leaving. If your in the same area chances are they will see, and or play with each other again at some point.

Personally, unless there was something serious going on that could not be resolved with the Coach, I would expect my daughter to stick out the other half of the season and then move on.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I will start by making the assumption that the move is only due to playing time at her preferred position and not because of any other factors. If so, I would not let my DD quit in the middle of the season. I would ask her to compare her skill set with the player ahead of her. If the other player is better, what can you do to be better than her? If she isn't better than you, what can you do to make the coach look like an idiot for not playing you there? (Maybe not in those words, but you get the idea). Sports are a competition. In the traditional sense your team is competing against another team. But there are also internal competitions on your team as well. Yes, you need to be supportive of your teammates during a game. But trying to out perform them at practice is normal, and in my opinion, the expectation. This all said, if DD still decided she wanted to switch teams at the end of the season, I would be fine with it.

Jul 3, 2013
Leaving for that reason, in this situation, is wrong. Shows character flaws, IMO, maybe a trait the whole family shares? But, maybe the HC had made promises to girl X about number of games or innings she would get behind the plate.

Either way I'm gonna say that girl X is a strong candidate to quit softball after her fall semester of college.

May 6, 2015
A player leaving for another team over the winter break was not unusual in our area.
this is in middle of fall season, during winter break I can see switching, DD has done that once, but we are about halfway in our fall season. I can tell you, if situations were reversed, DD would not think of leaving even over winter break.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wish I could have gotten DD to quit in middle of one year.

She said that she didn't want to hurt the Team.

How the heck are you going to hurt the Team sitting on the bench every game?

I lost my argument. She handled it better then me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying