Hitting devices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2009
You can use the Ultimate Hitting Machine in a garage or basement. It may slide a little bit on cement when your foot is on launch pad when swinging, so it may be best to put a piece of carpet under the machine.
You can get a lot of swing reps in with this machine (no electricity or batteries needed) You can also use a one handed swing trainer bat with this machine.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
You can use the Ultimate Hitting Machine in a garage or basement. It may slide a little bit on cement when your foot is on launch pad when swinging, so it may be best to put a piece of carpet under the machine.
You can get a lot of swing reps in with this machine (no electricity or batteries needed) You can also use a one handed swing trainer bat with this machine.

How do you adjust it to hit out side pitches or inside pitches? The ball being further back in the box or further up in the box or what we call our window of opportunity is important as we rotate as needed and if it can not be adjusted then I would not understand the value.

Thanks Howard

Jul 28, 2008
How about the Instructo Swing training device? This device provides a visual aid for training and the instant feedback it can offer during swing training development is helpful. Hitter, was very helpful in the development of this product.

EL

Oct 29, 2008
How about the Instructo Swing training device? This device provides a visual aid for training and the instant feedback it can offer during swing training development is helpful. Hitter, was very helpful in the development of this product.

Erik:

I will always admire the integrity you displayed when you made a major revision to this product. Rather than an entrenched defense of what some considered to be a flawed product, you just fixed it and made it a much better training aid. I was a vocal critic of the original product. It is long overdue on my part to recommend the improved version. Which I do.

Best regards,

Scott

Jul 28, 2008
Scott,

Thanks very much for your kind words and your acknowledgement of this new and improved Instructo Swing training device. :)

EL

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Erik:

I will always admire the integrity you displayed when you made a major revision to this product. Rather than an entrenched defense of what some considered to be a flawed product, you just fixed it and made it a much better training aid. I was a vocal critic of the original product. It is long overdue on my part to recommend the improved version. Which I do.

Best regards,

Scott

Dusty Baker had complained there was too much angle downward (they were putting catchers gloves under the front end) and the two representatives approached me on what I had already done to modify my Instructo Swing to make it adjustable to any angle. I took my son and a few others and set orange cones up on a field (set up at 50 foot spacing) and took several buckets of balls and hit balls and then started building up the front end and we visually saw the increase in the flight of the ball. At the angles of 8 to 12 degrees was the most desired angles and 10 to 12 achieved the best results. I used a contractor protractor to measure the best angles. This is why I mark the lines on my net so I can predict the path of the ball while we soft toss (mean angle of ball off the bat of 26 and 10 degrees) and then I know if the balls go above or below the lines or left or right of the center line I know why. The tee is set back 4.5 feet from the net and we measure off from the back corner of home plate. We actually made the changes in 2000 however the company that was representing Erik did not involve him and until Erik got involved nothing was happening. Don Slaught tried the product out in 2004 at the NFCA in Las Vegas along with Carol Hutch. Everyone by that time had stopped using the product because of the steep angle downward. By purchasing the new adjustable base it made an instant improvement and then we corrected the tee positions. Everyone agreed the product could now be used as any angle to hit the ball was now obtainable. Then we added the top tee mainly from my association with teaching slapping and Erik sent a device to Larry Ray and Catlin Lowe. Whatley also used it at a clinic Crystl and I was doing and we had to modify the angle of the tees itself as she tries to hit the ball within two feet of home plate. She puts more downward angle on the ball when slapping, more than any other slapper I have worked with. I also took two units to China for use with the Chinese National Softball Team. I was the hitting instructor for two years and they had a significant improvement once they stopped hitting down on the ball. Up to that time small ball and keeping it out of the air was their thinking as to hitting. By using the Instructo Swing they quickly understood the benefits of matching the plane of the swing to the flight of the ball. All of my students can hit off the device blind folded and it is a confidence builder. The addition of the top tee made it ideal for softball and slapping. I still have the original product in my shed and some day Erik will purchase it back from me at an increase cost because of its antiquity value....just kidding Erik!

Last edited: