Hitting devices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You always build your's better than mine ! Read infubuildit ( Dana's) post under radial deviation. He talks about separation and wrapping. Just to show you how simple some tools can be. We use a swimming pool noddle. Hold it behind them and if the wrap, they will hit the noddle. Kids and feel it an see it, knowing they are turning the back shoulder.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
You always build your's better than mine ! Read inubuildit ( Dana's) post under radial deviation. He talks about separation and wrapping. Just to show you how simple some tools can be. We use a swimming pool noddle. Hold it behind them and if the wrap, they will hit the noddle. Kids and feel it an see it, knowing they are turning the back shoulder.

Make sure the noodle is at least 36 inches long or you will take one in the noggin! Foam pipe insulation works well also.

Hold the noodle in your out stretched hand and I prefer my left hand as it puts more distance between me and the hitter. When they separate at or during toe touch touch we want the hands to come straight back so to speak so the back elbow will touch the end of the noodle. If they are rolling their shoulders in they will not touch their back elbow to the noodle. You will see an improvement in that most kids who roll the shoulders in pull everything and can not hit an outside pitch. They should be able to swing and when they finish they should not hit it. The shoulder rollers usually do not see the ball well either.

Another simple drill too get them to see this is take a pair of socks and look into a mirror as if the pitcher is standing in front of you. Bend at the waist and soften the knees and get to toe touch. Can you see the socks or are the socks behind your head? This is a sure way for them to see the path of the hands was not close to straight back. We then have them do the ball in a hand drill substituting the ball for the socks. Inter lock the index finger of the bottom hand with the baby finger of the top hand and hold the socks in the top hand. Slow to load soft to step and separate the hands rearward slightly and point using the index finger of the top hand in the direction you want the socks to go. Then elbows start to move shoulder begin to rotate, tilt and turn, keep the hands together and throw the socks into the mirror. You can also point out during this drill to look at the direction of the belly button or rotating as needed for an outside pitch, up the middle and pull.

Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
No that is for Beer runs when his wife lets him take his friends out!

These guys miss nothing....look at the grill? Then let him give you a tour of his work shop, Tim the Toolman Taylor has nothing on Gerry!

I have tried to get him to mount a camera overhead as he can do it because he has no ceilings and this could be great information!

Howard

Oct 14, 2008
Another hitting device

My hitting area. The black stripe in the middle lets me check ball flight
Below grounder/above fly outs.

My tee sets at the red home plate.

I have curled my net at the bottom and made a catch - all. Slid a white piece a pvc water line through the front of the net and tied it to the ceiling with ropes.

It catch's 98% of the balls.

2 moving blankets hung on ropes in front of net stops all balls very quickly and drops them into bottom of the catch all.

The sides are also curved when working on opposite field hits.

The wood ceiling supports a light and heater. A thick golf mat to hit off of.

Straightleg

Much better then the dungeon Britt and myself work out of.....

Jul 11, 2009
Much better then the dungeon Britt and myself work out of.....

Trust me it is much better than what I have to try to get Shelby to work with. Let's just say that no basement, no garage does not make for fun hitting sessions in December.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole