Hitting devices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Erik:

I will always admire the integrity you displayed when you made a major revision to this product. Rather than an entrenched defense of what some considered to be a flawed product, you just fixed it and made it a much better training aid. I was a vocal critic of the original product. It is long overdue on my part to recommend the improved version. Which I do.

Best regards,

Scott

I agree this is true. I've had the same thought myself.

Jul 28, 2008
I still have the original product in my shed and some day Erik will purchase it back from me at an increase cost because of its antiquity value....just kidding Erik!

:):cool::D

Howard thanks for sharing some of the history of the product. Since the changes have been made players are a lot more confortable swinging through this device.

EL

Jul 28, 2008
Eric

I use it for kids that drop there hands.

Straightleg

Straightleg,

I also use this for that purpose. I have found when I rotate the u bar towards the hitter and they drop the hands the bar gets hit. I like it for that purpose only with the Ubar facing the hitter. I have coaches that like this set up for teaching the players to keep the hands inside the ball. This is like the fence drill as you see with the Epstein drill. I don't really teach this because I find if the hitter has proper plate coverage the hands stay inside the ball natural. I also like the barell to arc different and I like the hitter to not think in terms of taking the nob to the ball.

EL:)

Attachments

• Hand Path device 3-12-09 008.jpg
    Hand Path device 3-12-09 008.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Hand Path device 3-12-09 010.jpg
    Hand Path device 3-12-09 010.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 86
May 31, 2009
How do you adjust it to hit out side pitches or inside pitches? The ball being further back in the box or further up in the box or what we call our window of opportunity is important as we rotate as needed and if it can not be adjusted then I would not understand the value.

Thanks Howard

Use a batting tee to work on inside and outside pitches. The value of this machine is to give a person the opportunity to get a lot of swing reps in on their own..... focusing on keeping their eye on a moving ball and making solid contact everytime. A batter can work on hitting grounders, line drives, or fly balls. We all know that a lot of individual batting practice (after a person has learned the correct swing mechanics) is an important part of becoming a good hitter.

I'm sure the instructo swing has good values and bad values. I have never used it or seen it used, so I won't comment on it. The way I see it, all training aids have some type of value. It just depends on what the consumer is looking for.
-

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Use a batting tee to work on inside and outside pitches. The value of this machine is to give a person the opportunity to get a lot of swing reps in on their own..... focusing on keeping their eye on a moving ball and making solid contact everytime. A batter can work on hitting grounders, line drives, or fly balls. We all know that a lot of individual batting practice (after a person has learned the correct swing mechanics) is an important part of becoming a good hitter.

I'm sure the instructo swing has good values and bad values. I have never used it or seen it used, so I won't comment on it. The way I see it, all training aids have some type of value. It just depends on what the consumer is looking for.
-

If I were going to use the tee for two out of three drills then I would use it for all three in my opinion. With a little thought I am sure this could be modified which is exactly what we did with the Instructo Swing. Most people who soft toss throw in on the hands causing them to practice pulling the ball. I see it all the time even at the college level. Just seeing the ball is only part of it. When doing soft toss we include tracking techniques so the mechanics can be used in a game. What techniques do you use to see the ball better?

Thanks Howard

May 7, 2008
New device

Saw the T stackers on Cindy Bristow ( i think it was there...) website. what does everyone think about these as a training device. Is there a risk this promote hitting under the ball a bit?

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
New device

Saw the T stackers on Cindy Bristow ( i think it was there...) website. what does everyone think about these as a training device. Is there a risk this promote hitting under the ball a bit?

We have used these for over a year and start with only two balls....the kids have competition by hitting the ball off the top and leaving the tee on the bottom ball...so far 7 balls in a row leaving the tee on the bottom ball. If the ball is hit correctly the bottom ball does not come off the tee. With three balls you must be perfect!

Thanks Howard

Oct 19, 2009
New device

In 2007 the PXFTOUR came to Chattanooga and we purchased a set of these at the tour merchandise table. They were 2 of them in a set, you can stack 3 balls, we started wit 2 12 inch softballs and progressed to three, then 11 inch softballs and know she is hitting 3 baseballs.

It is kind of time consuming setting up the three balls on the stacker, it helps if you have a good tee with the tube straight and windy days are terrible if you are out doors.

I’m not sure what it teaches other than hitting through the center of the ball, the PFX people were promoting it as an innovative tool for hitting the reason we purchased it.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
In 2007 the PXFTOUR came to Chattanooga and we purchased a set of these at the tour merchandise table. They were 2 of them in a set, you can stack 3 balls, we started wit 2 12 inch softballs and progressed to three, then 11 inch softballs and know she is hitting 3 baseballs.

It is kind of time consuming setting up the three balls on the stacker, it helps if you have a good tee with the tube straight and windy days are terrible if you are out doors.

I’m not sure what it teaches other than hitting through the center of the ball, the PFX people were promoting it as an innovative tool for hitting the reason we purchased it.

When using the tee stacker's it helps to put a couple layers of duct tape around the top cup of the tee to support the additional weight of the balls.

If you swing down on the ball it will drag the bottom ball off and if swing under the ball it will drag the bottom ball off.

My girls have competition to hit the ball so perfectly they leave the tee in place that was holding the ball. I have had two hit seven in a row and leave the tee in place. You know they are getting better when you see the tee stacker just barely rolling off verses flying off and the string jerking it back.

I took an old softball and drilled a 7/8 inch diameter hole in it and drilled a small hole through and tied a rope on it and the rope to the tee and it served its purpose also.

Thanks Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild