NCAA Hints at making leaping legal.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012

Other rules recommendations​

• Allowing the use of a double first base on the field.
  • Requiring the fence distance in left and right fields to be 200 feet for new construction.
  • Removing the ¼-inch bat knob protrusion requirement to allow for a tapered/flared/cone bat handle.
  • Prohibiting assistant coaches from leaving the dugout or bullpen area to appeal, question or argue any play on the field.
  • Allowing one-way communication devices to be used during play.
  • Allowing batters to use either on-deck circle.
  • Allowing the pitcher to throw to any base one time during warmups.
  • Allowing a postgame review of ejections that include a suspension.

May 29, 2015

Other rules recommendations​

• Allowing the use of a double first base on the field.
  • Requiring the fence distance in left and right fields to be 200 feet for new construction.
  • Removing the ¼-inch bat knob protrusion requirement to allow for a tapered/flared/cone bat handle.
  • Prohibiting assistant coaches from leaving the dugout or bullpen area to appeal, question or argue any play on the field.
  • Allowing one-way communication devices to be used during play.
  • Allowing batters to use either on-deck circle.
  • Allowing the pitcher to throw to any base one time during warmups.
  • Allowing a postgame review of ejections that include a suspension.

• HARD NO.
  • HARD YES.
  • Soft no (should be 225).
  • Don't care.
  • HARD YES.
  • Soft no.
  • Soft yes.
  • Why? No. Maybe I am interpreting this different than what NCAA wants. If the pitcher hasn't thrown a warm up pitch yet, I don't care if she plays catch while waiting on the catcher. Once the catcher is there, it is time to get moving. No need to throw to a base. Practicing pickoff moves?
  • I think that should have been there all along.

The problem with leaping is that since "the summer codes" have decided to give up and allow it, they are basically going to force NFHS and NCAA's hands. Personally, I think it was a stupid move for USA and USSSA. I would say there are far more pitchers who pitch by the rules than those that don't, so why are we caving in and allowing the traditional rule breakers to gain an advantage? I blame us as umpires though, we should have been calling it a lot more. I know it isn't always easy to see, but the orgs could do a much better job training umpires properly in order to call their rulesets.

May 27, 2022
  • Allow leaping - only if you don't let them leap farther than the pitcher circle
  • Allowing the use of a double first base on the field. - YES
  • Requiring the fence distance in left and right fields to be 200 feet for new construction. - whatev's
  • Removing the ¼-inch bat knob protrusion requirement to allow for a tapered/flared/cone bat handle. - whatev's
  • Prohibiting assistant coaches from leaving the dugout or bullpen area to appeal, question or argue any play on the field. yes
  • Allowing one-way communication devices to be used during play. no
  • Allowing batters to use either on-deck circle. no
  • Allowing the pitcher to throw to any base one time during warmups. ok
  • Allowing a postgame review of ejections that include a suspension. yes

Aug 21, 2008
Using either on deck circle is a safety thing. It's done all the time in men's softball, without issue.

If my team is on the 1st base side, I'm a RHB facing someone who throws GAS.. check swings and hitters who don't get around on the ball but that person in the on deck circle is very susceptible to line drives hitting them.

There isn't really a good reason to not let the on deck hitter use the other side.

I'd say this should be allowed in those safety situations. But there's no need for anyone to use the other on deck circle if if it's not like I described... RHB, with the on deck hitter on 1st base side. That on deck batter SHOULD be allowed to go to the 3rd base on deck circle.

May 27, 2022
Using either on deck circle is a safety thing. It's done all the time in men's softball, without issue.

If my team is on the 1st base side, I'm a RHB facing someone who throws GAS.. check swings and hitters who don't get around on the ball but that person in the on deck circle is very susceptible to line drives hitting them.

There isn't really a good reason to not let the on deck hitter use the other side.

I'd say this should be allowed in those safety situations. But there's no need for anyone to use the other on deck circle if if it's not like I described... RHB, with the on deck hitter on 1st base side. That on deck batter SHOULD be allowed to go to the 3rd base on deck circle.

What about the next-batter-up hearing strategy from the dugout while they are over there?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00