2024 NFHS Rules Changes (Coming Soon!)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
That's not even the rule in MLB. why?

Because it isn't MLB?

I'd like to know how they plan to make it fair and equitable for teams that "aren't as blessed with resources."

We NEED facepaint!

ultimate-warrior.gif

May 29, 2015
Thanks. Barely just glanced @ Maninblue post earlier.

Now seeing this communication rule possibility.
Like to see people's responses how a coach might break that rule.
Cuzzzz this is going to mean the coach has to control themselves LOL
'Prohibit coach from communicating with any other player besides the catcher'

My first thought is to send the catcher out to the pitcher with the communication device on to avoid a conference? (In which case I would deem them a lousy coach.)

May 13, 2023
My first thought is to send the catcher out to the pitcher with the communication device on to avoid a conference? (In which case I would deem them a lousy coach.)
Of course and things like move Betty in left field over 10 ft. 🤷‍♀️

Understand about your fair and Equitable comment of resources. Then again in the giant cost of softball it's just another piece of equipment.

Yikes Can imagine coaches starting having dialogues with the catcher when she needs to focus on what's on the field and the game.

😏 If that were in my helmet it might break often.
SoooThankful I called pitches my entire career.
Especially with young catchers it's a hard distraction to keep looking over the coach and getting back to the game. Coaches get involved in too many different conversations with the catcher and then catcher needs to go back and focus with Runners on and batter swinging. Can make it difficult for catchers learning and flow concentrating on the game.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Thanks. Barely just glanced @ Maninblue post earlier.

Now seeing this communication rule possibility.
Like to see people's responses how a coach might break that rule.
Cuzzzz this is going to mean the coach has to control themselves LOL
'Prohibit coach from communicating with any other player besides the catcher'
View attachment 28319
So, how are they supposed to tell their infielders to come in, or their outfielders to shift to the left or right?

May 29, 2015
From the article:

. . . Elliot Hopkins, NFHS Director of Sports and Educational Services and liaison to the Baseball Rules Committee. “The committee has made these changes to maintain the balance between offense and defense; increase the pace of play; and will responsibly manage technology so there is no advantaged gained by schools that have more available resources than some of their contemporaries. Creating a level playing field is paramount to education-based athletics.”

I am very intrigued to see what that means.

Apr 17, 2019
This was posted on the NFHS site a couple days ago.

Of particular interest:
6-1-2c, 2-47: The pitcher may now have both feet off the ground at the same time as long as both feet remain within the 24-inch width of the pitching plate and the pitcher does not replant the pivot foot. A definition for a replant was added.
Rationale:
The rule change permits both feet to disengage from the playing surface while delivering a pitch. The addition of Rule 2-47 defines that a replant of the pivot foot occurs when the pitcher pushes off the playing surface from anywhere other than the pitcher’s plate prior to the act of delivering the pitch.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Will be curious to see the definition of “replant.” An actual push is not needed to gain leverage and acceleration.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
From the article:

. . . Elliot Hopkins, NFHS Director of Sports and Educational Services and liaison to the Baseball Rules Committee. “The committee has made these changes to maintain the balance between offense and defense; increase the pace of play; and will responsibly manage technology so there is no advantaged gained by schools that have more available resources than some of their contemporaries. Creating a level playing field is paramount to education-based athletics.”

I am very intrigued to see what that means.
Sounds like lip service to acknowledge some schools are better off than others, but provides no concrete guidance on how keep the playing field level. My guess is if one team doesn't have it, the other cannot use it in the game.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I don't think the catchers will like having an earpiece in all the time. Many coaches blurt and scream stuff out during gameplay. They're going to get sick of it, unless it is regulated to a "push-button-to-talk" system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles