Help with this issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Just chiming in - I think what is missing in her swing is intent to do damage and not so much mechanics. It’s just not very violent/aggressive looking in the game clips.

I think that’s an intuitive feeling of slowing down so one can HOPEFULLY make solid contact w the ball. Swinging hard and missing usually means you failed and looked like a fool doing it. Just like a bad golf swing. Slow down and try to square the face etc etc. jmo.

Oct 26, 2019
I don’t disagree. I just think so many folks on here get in the weeds with mechanics and forget that intent drives everything we do. I do little to no mechanics with younger kids until the intent is ingrained. A pretty swing with no intent is worthless.

Jun 8, 2016
fiattening a swing is doom. It ensures around the ball. Think of the hips and hands. Then think centripetal to centrifugal. The hips will turn left BUT if they’re flat. Everything will be around the ball. The hips need to stay tilted into launch. We swing on an axis (pelvis and spine). Not around our ankles.

get the set up somewhat like this. Notice the hip line from start into finish. Tilted. Never flat. Great posture. A good start was the spine and shin angle match at set up.. then load around the spine.

View attachment 24654
Alo's hip angle is more than the norm on her move out, no?

vwTXI3x.gif

9gyNlHO.gif

KqcmvMc.gif

Also all tilted hip angles are not created equal...how you get them tilted matters..(I know you know this..just saying)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020
Just chiming in - I think what is missing in her swing is intent to do damage and not so much mechanics. It’s just not very violent/aggressive looking in the game clips.
Thanks to Blast Motion - I can tell that the swing in the video was 43.8 MPH bat speed and 14.3 peak hand speed. Which is pretty good for her. We can certainly gain some speed and power using the legs and ground.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Alo's hip angle is more than the norm on her move out, no?

vwTXI3x.gif

9gyNlHO.gif

KqcmvMc.gif

maybe. I think it’s fine. She might be thinking low and away which is what she got. Or she could have been working on it that day and is exaggerating the feel. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Maybe shes very mobile and needs that angle to feel stuff. Not sure.

Attachments

• 1639763532180.gif
    1639763532180.gif
    18.2 MB · Views: 11
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don’t disagree. I just think so many folks on here get in the weeds with mechanics and forget that intent drives everything we do. I do little to no mechanics with younger kids until the intent is ingrained. A pretty swing with no intent is worthless.

IMO, both matter. Poor intent is limiting. Poor mechanics is also limiting.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks to Blast Motion - I can tell that the swing in the video was 43.8 MPH bat speed and 14.3 peak hand speed. Which is pretty good for her. We can certainly gain some speed and power using the legs and ground.

yes!! Well said!! 👏

as well as a good bat path.. who woulda thunk it?

Jun 8, 2016
We probably do too much close in soft toss in practice which makes her want to be in early load position. We actually flattened out her swing a bit to stop the pop ups and we get this (see video). Which is perfectly on time, on the barrel and then cuts across it losing power. Very frustrating.

Off-topic but what system are you using that automatically switches views like that? That was nice..

Nov 16, 2017
fiattening a swing is doom. It ensures around the ball. Think of the hips and hands. Then think centripetal to centrifugal. The hips will turn left BUT if they’re flat. Everything will be around the ball. The hips need to stay tilted into launch. We swing on an axis (pelvis and spine). Not around our ankles.

get the set up somewhat like this. Notice the hip line from start into finish. Tilted. Never flat. Great posture. A good start was the spine and shin angle match at set up.. then load around the spine.

View attachment 24654
I have seen a lot of players lately with too vertical of a bat path. They aren't popping up, but they are hitting towering fly balls as easy outs to the outfield, because if the timing is not perfect they catch it a bit out front and up, up and away for an out. Some players need to take a flatter hand path which is usually achieved by the front arm. Hank's swing shows this. Pop ups result mainly in hitting the very bottom of the ball. If your path is too vertical, you can forget about a high strike or riseball.

I know everyone is jacked now on hitting homers and getting the ball in the air but I would take less homes for a lot higher average.

For the girls I have worked with with too vertical of a bat path I tell them to think down and across.

I prefer this over the above bat path.

1639772040675.png

More down and across

Sierra Romero "13 Homeruns in 60 Seconds" with ProSwings - YouTube

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00