Have ya ever seen a worse call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Good point, cuzmail

Thanks. I bet the 1B ump wishes the play was a little closer though! I loved the slow mo shot where they showed the BR crossing the bag and the ball still in the air a foot or two from the glove. Granted the 1B ump doesn't have the luxury of replay like we did, but still. :)

Mar 2, 2013
I bet that was a payback call for the knee into the pitch that was not called earlier. Umps don't like to over rule each other, but they can do things like that to level the field a little.

I wish you had more faith in sports officials. Speaking for myself as an umpire, after 3500+ softball games under my belt, I have never once had a "make up call." If I miss one call, I'm sure as hell going to make sure I don't miss two. It also makes no sense to do so. I already may have one side mad at me. What's it worth to have both teams mad at me?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Hey Blue,
I appreciate you guys. However, not all of you have the highest integrity. I believe they do their best, most of the time, but like they say...it takes all kinds!

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
That would have made it an appeal play.

I would assume the coach would have had to make the appeal, but it didn't appear he was asking what the call was. I don't have a problem with the call being a mistake. It happens all the time in all sports. I'm just curious what the ump saw to make the call he did.

I've been on the field when the ump said "oops" because the call was one way and he called it the other, just as a brain fart. Didn't really realize what he done until after play resumed. He admitted it.

I've had one where the ump called a caught fly by 2B. Play was stopped and parents had to be threatened with ejection because they said she caught in on the bounce and were being unruly. After play resumed, ump was over by me when the kid came in after the inning and he heard me ask her if she caught it and she said it bounced. I would have sworn in a court of law that she caught the ball and I thought I had an excellent angle just like the ump. I just shrugged my shoulders at him.

Some times umps have to make a call even though they didn't have the best view or whatever.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
That would have made it an appeal play.

A runner missing the bag at first base is an appeal play? Am I getting this right, you say that if the batter/runner on her way to first stutter steps, misses the bag, all while the first baseman receives the ball while in contact with first base. that the 1st base ump doesn't call her out, because it would be an appeal play?

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
A runner missing the bag at first base is an appeal play? Am I getting this right, you say that if the batter/runner on her way to first stutter steps, misses the bag, all while the first baseman receives the ball while in contact with first base. that the 1st base ump doesn't call her out, because it would be an appeal play?
I'm confused here. I don't see where a live ball appeal play, comes into play.

My previous response was as if she was called safe and the defense were running out there for a dead ball appeal. Brain fart on my part

Jun 22, 2008

By rule, once past a base the runner is assumed to have touched the base until properly appealed. If the runner beats the throw to the base but steps over it, by rule she has touched the base until the defense appeals it. The defense must make the appeal prior to the runner returning to the base.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06