Another HS Coach Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I know everyone gets sick of the HS coach threads. I do, too. But here’s a story that needs to be shared. This is a long one.

A Freshman I know just quit her HS team last week. She’s been playing for the HS coach since she was in fifth grade. He obviously knows how talented she is, but that didn’t seem to matter.

Despite her ability, the coach put her on the JV team with almost a dozen girls who had no softball experience prior to this year. Girls in her grade who have not been playing as long and who are not as good made the varsity team over her.

She’s come home from practice every day she goes upset and complaining about being stuck on JV. She knows she’s better than some of the girls on the varsity team, and she can’t understand what the coach has against her.

When she talked to the coach and said she was unhappy and didn’t want to be on the JV team, the coach explained to her that she would get opportunities when she earned them by showing up to practice every day, working hard, and getting her grades up. That was the last practice/team event she attended, though she didn’t actually quit until the next week.

Even though the coach has known the girl for many years, for some reason he was holding her back. He even coached her older sister when she was in high school, so it’s hard to understand why he’s doing this to her.

High School coaches can do whatever they want, and in this case, the coach made a girl who loved playing not want to play anymore.

Sound familiar?

The difference with this story is you actually get the coach’s side of the story.

This player missed four of the first five days of the season. She attended the first day, then missed two days for a death in the family. Those absences were obviously excused. She no-showed Thursday/Friday of the first week despite being in school. Neither she nor her mother contacted me about it. If it was related to the death in the family, I still have no idea. Team rules state that not notifying coaches of an absence means the absence is unexcused.

Because of all the time missed, we were unable to evaluate her properly. Other girls performed very well during the first week and passed her up, but even more important, she’s a catcher and the JV team needed a catcher. She probably is more talented than one or two of the Varsity bench players, but those girls fill a particular role that she wouldn’t fill.

She could’ve been put on the varsity team despite missing all those practices (what a bad message that would send to the rest of the team), but she’s the third-best catcher and the second-best third baseman and she pouts and complains if she has to play anywhere else. Two years ago, she left a playoff game the team won immediately after it ended because she was upset she didn’t get enough playing time, so there’s a history of her not handling these situations well.

She was put on the JV team and made a captain along with the two other girls who have experience to help mentor all the new girls. JV players get called up all the time, and in the meeting with her, she was told that she would have the opportunity to be with the varsity team if she worked her and earned that opportunity.

Over the next four weeks, she missed nine more practices/team events before leaving the team. Most of those were no-shows. One was because family was in town and she, in her words, “decided to just stay home.” During much of this time, she was failing four classes, so she wasn’t eligible to play anyway.

About a week before she quit the team, her mother sent an all caps email complaining about the player not being on the varsity team, accusing me of “holding her back,” and saying she would not be available to fill in for the varsity team when needed. She also said she would not be attending a mandatory team event (a varsity game in Rosemont at the Bandits/Athletes Unlimited stadium).

She didn’t even tell me she was leaving the team. Another girl on the team had to ask if she was still on the team, and at that point she said no. I have a policy that players who want to leave the team are to inform the team of that at a team meeting. A meeting was called specifically to give her the opportunity to do so, and she no-showed.

The entire situation is disappointing. A player with potential repeatedly did the exact wrong thing, put herself ahead of the team, didn’t do what was asked of her, and worst of all, has a parent whose sense of entitlement led to her giving terrible guidance. I gave her the longest possible leash, but I could see where this was headed. The really sad part is that I know she and her mom think they’ve really made some kind of point, but we have a good, close team, and if you’re not going to show up and be part of the group, they’re not going to be bothered by your absence. The team is going to survive and thrive without her. She is the only one missing out, so I hope she realizes that and comes back next year (I won’t turn her away, but she obviously has a lot of work to do to get the spot she thinks she deserves).

Perspective is important. When I read all these threads about awful HS coaches, I wonder how many of them leave out all the important parts of the story. I wonder how many of them just don’t know the entire story. Everything posted at the beginning of this post is true, and yet, so much was left out.

Oct 26, 2019
I appreciate you sharing this. As a high school AD (and former HS baseball coach) I could write entire books on the crazy things parents do. I have rarely met a kid who is as good as their parents say they are. Parents just don’t have perspective on their own kids.

Jul 19, 2021
I know everyone gets sick of the HS coach threads. I do, too. But here’s a story that needs to be shared. This is a long one.

A Freshman I know just quit her HS team last week. She’s been playing for the HS coach since she was in fifth grade. He obviously knows how talented she is, but that didn’t seem to matter.

Despite her ability, the coach put her on the JV team with almost a dozen girls who had no softball experience prior to this year. Girls in her grade who have not been playing as long and who are not as good made the varsity team over her.

She’s come home from practice every day she goes upset and complaining about being stuck on JV. She knows she’s better than some of the girls on the varsity team, and she can’t understand what the coach has against her.

When she talked to the coach and said she was unhappy and didn’t want to be on the JV team, the coach explained to her that she would get opportunities when she earned them by showing up to practice every day, working hard, and getting her grades up. That was the last practice/team event she attended, though she didn’t actually quit until the next week.

Even though the coach has known the girl for many years, for some reason he was holding her back. He even coached her older sister when she was in high school, so it’s hard to understand why he’s doing this to her.

High School coaches can do whatever they want, and in this case, the coach made a girl who loved playing not want to play anymore.

Sound familiar?

The difference with this story is you actually get the coach’s side of the story.

This player missed four of the first five days of the season. She attended the first day, then missed two days for a death in the family. Those absences were obviously excused. She no-showed Thursday/Friday of the first week despite being in school. Neither she nor her mother contacted me about it. If it was related to the death in the family, I still have no idea. Team rules state that not notifying coaches of an absence means the absence is unexcused.

Because of all the time missed, we were unable to evaluate her properly. Other girls performed very well during the first week and passed her up, but even more important, she’s a catcher and the JV team needed a catcher. She probably is more talented than one or two of the Varsity bench players, but those girls fill a particular role that she wouldn’t fill.

She could’ve been put on the varsity team despite missing all those practices (what a bad message that would send to the rest of the team), but she’s the third-best catcher and the second-best third baseman and she pouts and complains if she has to play anywhere else. Two years ago, she left a playoff game the team won immediately after it ended because she was upset she didn’t get enough playing time, so there’s a history of her not handling these situations well.

She was put on the JV team and made a captain along with the two other girls who have experience to help mentor all the new girls. JV players get called up all the time, and in the meeting with her, she was told that she would have the opportunity to be with the varsity team if she worked her and earned that opportunity.

Over the next four weeks, she missed nine more practices/team events before leaving the team. Most of those were no-shows. One was because family was in town and she, in her words, “decided to just stay home.” During much of this time, she was failing four classes, so she wasn’t eligible to play anyway.

About a week before she quit the team, her mother sent an all caps email complaining about the player not being on the varsity team, accusing me of “holding her back,” and saying she would not be available to fill in for the varsity team when needed. She also said she would not be attending a mandatory team event (a varsity game in Rosemont at the Bandits/Athletes Unlimited stadium).

She didn’t even tell me she was leaving the team. Another girl on the team had to ask if she was still on the team, and at that point she said no. I have a policy that players who want to leave the team are to inform the team of that at a team meeting. A meeting was called specifically to give her the opportunity to do so, and she no-showed.

The entire situation is disappointing. A player with potential repeatedly did the exact wrong thing, put herself ahead of the team, didn’t do what was asked of her, and worst of all, has a parent whose sense of entitlement led to her giving terrible guidance. I gave her the longest possible leash, but I could see where this was headed. The really sad part is that I know she and her mom think they’ve really made some kind of point, but we have a good, close team, and if you’re not going to show up and be part of the group, they’re not going to be bothered by your absence. The team is going to survive and thrive without her. She is the only one missing out, so I hope she realizes that and comes back next year (I won’t turn her away, but she obviously has a lot of work to do to get the spot she thinks she deserves).

Perspective is important. When I read all these threads about awful HS coaches, I wonder how many of them leave out all the important parts of the story. I wonder how many of them just don’t know the entire story. Everything posted at the beginning of this post is true, and yet, so much was left out.
A big missed opportunity on your part IMO. Did you ever take the time to sit down with her and discuss what was going on in her life that would cause her to have such apathy that she was missing practices, and more importantly, why her grades were so bad? Personally I think a high school coach can have a very positive impact on kids but most, like you, seem to want the kids to make all the moves instead of the coach being proactive and trying to help. Who knows what caused the bad grades and absences now. Problems at home? Running with a bad crowd? Drinking? Drugs? You missed your chance to possibly make a big difference in a girl's life because you expected her to come to you. That's just not how teenagers work my friend. They don't come to you, you have to go to them.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A big missed opportunity on your part IMO. Did you ever take the time to sit down with her and discuss what was going on in her life that would cause her to have such apathy that she was missing practices, and more importantly, why her grades were so bad? Personally I think a high school coach can have a very positive impact on kids but most, like you, seem to want the kids to make all the moves instead of the coach being proactive and trying to help. Who knows what caused the bad grades and absences now. Problems at home? Running with a bad crowd? Drinking? Drugs? You missed your chance to possibly make a big difference in a girl's life because you expected her to come to you. That's just not how teenagers work my friend. They don't come to you, you have to go to them.

I've known her since she was in fifth grade. I've known her mom even longer. If something about her or her personality had changed, a lot of what you said her would be valid. But it's none of those things. Her grades are bad because she doesn't do her homework (when she turned work in, they started going up). She wasn't showing up because she (and her mom) didn't think it was important to go to practice. It's not apathy; it's entitlement.

Where the correct thing to do is earn a spot by showing up, working hard, and being a good teammate, they wanted it the opposite. Hand her everything and she would show up (sometimes...she's never had better than 50% practice attendance), work hard, and be a good teammate.

At no point did I say I expected her to come to me. I was proactive with her. She was the very first player meeting I held at the beginning so I could discuss her placement on the roster and the plan for her going forward. I wanted her to understand the situation to keep her on board because I knew being on JV would bother her. I approached her about her grades and took the initiative to talk to a couple of her teachers about what she needed to do (something she would not have done on her own). I even approached her at the last practice she attended, the day her mom sent me the email, to talk to her about how to get the opportunities she and her mom were demanding.

I gave way, way more than 99% of coaches would have because I've known her for so long (and I don't like losing players). Anything beyond what I did would've sent the message to the team that none of the rules matter, that showing up doesn't matter, that players can get what they want if they pout long enough.

And she's welcome to play next year if she wants. Kids make bad choices. I'm certainly not going to hold this year's decision against her in the future.

Jun 1, 2013

Sound familiar?

You have coached her since 5th grade. This is most likely not new behavior but learned behavior. This should have and could have been dealt with much earlier. If after playing for you for 4-5 years they should absolutely know this behavior will not fly.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I see a lot here about how long you've known her and what you could have done. Poppycock! It appears to me the player was counting on the pre-existing relationship to ensure her spot on JV. Also, while skill is important, commitment and desire are more important. Lastly, you mentioned sending the right message to tje rest of the team, and that's the most important of all.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

May 1, 2018
The only thing I have a problem with is the "I've known her since 5th grade and she has done stuff like this before". If you didn't know her and her family would she have gotten the same treatment...... if so then no problem.
Everything else.... sounds about right

Sep 29, 2014
Sometimes rosters are hard to explain to kids. We had probably one of the best pitchers in our region of the state come up and she was stuck playing JV. She watched all her club rivals that she pitched against start for their varsity squads, she knew come summer she would be beating all these kids getting glory right now on their varsity squads. She had zero chance of starting on our varsity because our ace was an All State D1 recruit that was probably top 3 in the state, coach explained to her that it would not do her any good to "watch" varsity games from the bench. She should keep sharp on JV, she would call her up a few times but otherwise JV was it. The difference was attitude, it was a very hard pill to swallow but she made the most of it and had fun.

Jun 20, 2015
the good / legit part on this is girl in front in line was obviously better. The problem arises when no one can understand or see why player X is on the bench or not starting in place of player Y, when player Y is less skilled.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee