Rated the best coach in TB? Why? It's a Crying Shame.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
During the College WS the camera panned to the audience and stop on this guy and the announcer said that he was voted or rated the number one TB coach in the country. I guess he had 4 players on each team that were part of his org. So he has obviously had some success but I wonder what he has left in his wake. The guy is a lunatic.
My DDs team played his 14u team recently. His pitcher beans the first 2 batters and then our team bunts, 3rd base bobbles and ends up base loaded. He is screaming at 3rd baseman and calling infield in. My DD is now batting. After 4 of 5 foul balls she lines one over the 2nd baseman's head and on the throw home the 1st baseman (slightly out of position) bobbles the cut allowing my DD to advance to 2nd base. Now the coach is going ballistic. Pulls the 1st baseman off the field and replaces her and as an afterthought pulls the 3rd baseman too. (screaming the whole time). Later in the game when they are up 6 to 4, his 5 hole batter takes strike two on a perfectly spotted inside FB. He immediately pulls her from the game (not letting her finish her AB) and tells the ump we are taking an out. And then he yells at the top of his lungs at the player, "I don't know why I ever put you in the 5 hole, you are not a 5 hole hitter, you will never bat in the 5 hole again." This behavior went on for the whole game and at his after the game meeting (he could be heard 50 yards away) he was screaming again telling the players and the parents that they embarrassed him today and this is not going to happen again and that some of you need to start looking for another org.
My question is, why do parents allow their DDs to be abused? Is a D-1 scholarship worth it? As for me and mine, we have far higher goals than playing D-1 softball.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
My DD picked up with a team with a HC like the one you're describing several years back (except without the prestige). We had no idea going in that it would be this bad. After they lost a game, he also had a VERY LOUD conference and said such lovely things as, "You guys SUCK! You're a bunch of losers" and "I'm getting rid of all of you and starting a new team." I was standing there in shock when a guy walked up and asked if my DD was on that team. I told him we were just picking up for the weekend and he said, "I've coached youth baseball for 15 years and I have never heard anything so abusive in my whole life!" We didn't return for Sunday games.

Jul 31, 2015
My question is, why do parents allow their DDs to be abused? Is a D-1 scholarship worth it? As for me and mine, we have far higher goals than playing D-1 softball.

I don't know.

No.

Good for you!

Many people - including many on this forum - love to criticize parents for bad behavior. But a certain percentage of coaches, esp high level travel coaches like the one above, paid to win, are equally, if not more, abusive and critical than players' parents. And who holds these coaches accountable? Most times, no one.

Of course, parents and players can always vote with their feet, and some do. If they are informed, have other options, and have the wherewithal to move. But moving on doesn't make the behavior right, and most often, the abuse does not happen in clear daylight like this. Sometimes even severe abuse can take years to be brought to light. We've all read the stories.

Our cultural moment has chosen to spotlight and condemn overzealous parents, but I, for one, would love to see more call-outs like this - with names - of coaches who abuse players by pulling them in the middle of an at-bat for letting a good pitch go by, or publicly berating them for minor misplays. Or even a series of misplays and poor judgement.

There needs to be some balance.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Many parents are insane. They ignore all sorts of things based on reputation/past results/pride/bragging rights, etc, etc. It is amazing what they can justify away.

I know who you are talking about, and that coach isn't even close to being the worse out there. Which is tremendously sad when you think about it.

In the end, parents GENERALLY do what they think is best for their kid - whether that is actually a good decision or not.

Dec 11, 2010
We had a maniac girls basketball coach at my home town. She had a ton of basketball knowledge but was flat out abusive. And she didn’t win. It wasn’t like putting up with her antics was going to get you to state and she wasn’t getting kids basketball scholarships.

Yet when she FINALLY got fired after all the nasty glares and demeaning things she constantly said and did, the parents and players came out of the woodwork saying how good she was, today’s kids can‘t take tough coaching, yada yada yada. Its some kind of weird Stockholm syndrome.

Second thing: you can often pick these guys out by there social media reposts. It’s all stuff attempting to justify “tough coaching”. Dropping f bombs and screaming at teenagers isn’t tough coaching no matter how many Geno Auriemma vids you post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood