As if we needed another reason why Gamechanger stats cannot be trusted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Resources are only as valid as the person or people implementing information into them. Those are people on their staff and are hopefully more educated and accurate about whom is on the field than the general public that uses game changer.

So travel ball is left to use a tool that not everybody uses accurately. Plus influenced by dna emotion. That is the point. Generally when viewing Game Changer it is with gaps and inaccuracies.

College may have inaccuracies as well as MLB and *have changed their application on errors or not. Perhaps not that often but they do review their own judgment and have overturned it.

Hopefully those inaccurate moments are far less than the abundance of inaccuracies that are in Game Changer from travel ball. Game Changer I would give about a 50/50. Holds no value for me.
If a questionable call on an error/hit comes up, I will usually ask other knowledgeable people their opinion. If I feel I made a mistake, I will adjust it later. I'm sure not everyone who keeps GC is as diligent, but that certainly isn't my fault.

Being that I have two daughters playing, I cannot be in two places at once. I find it useful to see what happened in a game I wasn't able to attend. It's no different than reading the boxscores in the morning paper.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If a questionable call on an error/hit comes up, I will usually ask other knowledgeable people their opinion. If I feel I made a mistake, I will adjust it later. I'm sure not everyone who keeps GC is as diligent, but that certainly isn't my fault.
Yep people change stuff later.
Is that a good thing or a complicating Factor?
Being that I have two daughters playing, I cannot be in two places at once. I find it useful to see what happened in a game I wasn't able to attend. It's no different than reading the boxscores in the morning paper.
Just saying take it for what it's worth, not perfect.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Do college games employ an official scorer like they do in MLB? I would assume they do since I can always view boxscores and recaps for all games. As far as I know, most tournaments don't have official scorers, so we are left to use a tool like GC to fill in the gaps.

Yes. Kind of. College teams have a person from each team who will score the games via a computer program, as they do live feeds. Most times both of these people will sit in the press box together and discuss discrepancies with each other so their stats match. At least that’s how it went this past year with DD’s team. I’ve seen wrong stats fixed after the games have ended. Probably after both team scorekeepers had a chance to review everything.

May 27, 2013
Our team doesn't have a parent doing GC so I always check if the opposing team does to follow the game; I can never remember the count, score, etc. Frequently they just take any team from our organization to use instead of putting in the jersey numbers - which screws up the CG stats for the other teams in our org. But even worse, I went back to look at something as an old teammate of DD joined this org we played and saw the team actually changed their tie with us to a win!! Ugh, seriously??? Any other CG horror stories to share?

The only time that a score can/should be changed/reverted is if it’s drop dead and the home team doesn’t get their last at bat. Even then, if it’s a showcase, who really cares?

Jun 8, 2016
I was just asked to do GC for my son’s 8u team 😒. I will obviously be pretty lenient with regards to errors at that age but considering every time a kid got on base it was scored a hit previously, I wonder how long I will be doing this when everyone’s BA drops 300 points from the Spring season 😂

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I was just asked to do GC for my son’s 8u team 😒. I will obviously be pretty lenient with regards to errors at that age but considering every time a kid got on base it was scored a hit previously, I wonder how long I will be doing this when everyone’s BA drops 300 points from the Spring season 😂
😏well gotta appreciate your giving everyone a disclaimer / heads up to the situation.
Little fun here...
Dear parents will try to be lenient about errors, however there is a chance your child's batting average may drop. Because after all your child is in 8u now and they need a little dose of reality.
If you need to question my judgment try to approach me sitting in the outfield and watch out dodging water bottles.

Jun 8, 2016
😏well gotta appreciate your giving everyone a disclaimer / heads up to the situation.
Little fun here...
Dear parents will try to be lenient about errors, however there is a chance your child's batting average may drop. Because after all your child is in 8u now and they need a little dose of reality.
If you need to question my judgment try to approach me sitting in the outfield and watch out dodging water bottles.
Lol..If I get fired I will be ok with it 😂

Jul 27, 2021
Now is this 8u league using player pitch, coach pitch, tee hitting or a machine?

Keeping track of errors....in 8u?

Jun 8, 2016
Now is this 8u league using player pitch, coach pitch, tee hitting or a machine?

Keeping track of errors....in 8u?
Coach pitch. If I am going score the game then I might as well do it properly (using the proper interpretation of ordinary effort for a 7/8 YO) no?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Coach pitch. If I am going score the game then I might as well do it properly (using the proper interpretation of ordinary effort for a 7/8 YO) no?
Hey, your experienced with both the sport and kids, ... they will be fortunate to have you paying attention the whole game LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi